Why exactly visibility is so low in cold water oceans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are just few factors that determine what is affecting plankton in the water, nutrients, light and oxygen.

Most tropical spots get a huge amount sunlight year round, so nutrients, when available they will get used up and into the food chain. The amazing 100’ visibility in the tropics is because those waters are nutrient deserts. Sunlight hitting at a steep angle penetrates relatively deep compared to Northern climes. The clearest water for most temperate divers is fall to spring because the days are short and the sun hits the water at a low angle.

Nutrients get into the water from one of two sources, surface runoff or upwelling from deep water. Deep water has plenty of nutrients, but no light and low oxygen. Undersea mountains ranges or islands like the Galapagos can force this water up towards the surface, allowing for mixing. Tropical waters tend to have much more significant thermoclines, which inhibits that mixing. Northern latitudes (I.e. US, Europe, China, Japan, Canada, etc.) tend to have more surface runoff from human activity, and runoff in general.

These are very broad generalizations, so take them with a grain of salt.

We all know that there are several factors that affect visibility: tides, windy weather, microorganisms in the water, runoff of freshwater from rivers deltas and… dive buddies too. I will quote an article I found, there are many on this
What Causes Bad Water Visibility in the Summer? — Rowand's Reef Scuba Shop

Which is the number 1 factor for you? Bloom of algae and plankton?

Hi Sbiriguda,

This is my backyard, the Pacific BC coast, I was on it by ferry earlier today.

All are correct, to varying degrees, for the defined reasons, sometimes its better because the reasons all work in combination with one another, sometimes with the absence of one, or the addition of the other, also, unfortunately sometimes it's worse.

Along the BC coast, the best diving is in the winter.

Among the local diving community there is a well established jungle telegraph that lets the community know of sporadic good days.

That is an excellent article, and thank you for sharing.

Rose.

My backyard as well !!

The article was good, but I don't think there was enough emphasis on plankton and algae blooms. A few days of hot sun and the resulting bloom can really make visibility decrease. Additionally plant growth, especially milfoil like seaweed, can cause visibility to be very poor in the shallows.

This has been a strange year. Usually things have cleared up for the most part by now, but recently you can have great vis on one dive, and very poor vis a couple of days later.

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom