My new backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F_Raven

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m evolving from a hydros (SP) to a backplate set-up & I have to admit, backplates are AWESOME . My question if anyone knows, is there a butt plate or “lower” back plate available for these set-ups? To raise it an inch or so away from the lower spine? Think it’ll help me with preventing lower back pain in the future.

Thank you

What is this pain you speak of?

I dive a BP/W in anything from a t-shirt to a dry suit, and never experienced any "lower back pain"...

Two other family members too.

I dive a BP/W in anything from a t-shirt to a dry suit, and never experienced any "lower back pain"...

Two other family members too.
My guess it’s a trim issue.

My kids sometimes complain of how the lower edge of the plate digs just above their hips/in their lower back on land. My 14 y.o. uses a backpad we salvaged off an old Dacor BCD, and I may be making a lumbar pad for my 10 y.o.

The OP may be dealing with similar.

...then the plate is too long or they have it too low...

YMMV

I feel it more today then yesterday. It’s at the very bottom of my spine. I’m thinking it might be because it was too low. It’s a muscle pain.

If the backplate itself is causing pain, you could use harness pads such as these:
Halcyon Dive Systems

If the pain is otherwise, you may have the plate too low on your back and may be having trim issues. There are plenty of resources available for correct placement on the back, and often requires the help of another person to get correct. A quick and dirty way for placement is if you can touch the backplate with the tips of your fingers when on your back, its almost in the right position, but needs a second person to help you fine tune.
Also, your D-rings should be touched by your thumbs when you have your arms horizontally outstretched and you bend at the elbow. This means the rings will always be in the same place and muscle memory can clip things easily.

is a great resource.

Hope this helps!

May need to tighten your shoulder straps a bit to raise the bottom of the plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom