Will there be a mini-season this year???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes and they didn’t support Islamoradas request either
What would they do to support it, pass a resolution that wouldn't be followed?

If Islamorada doesn't want a mini-season, they need to take it up with those who control mini-season.

What would they do to support it, pass a resolution that wouldn't be followed?

If Islamorada doesn't want a mini-season, they need to take it up with those who control mini-season.
Yep they are already passing an ordinance extending their exclusion areas(not sure of the additional feet)

It is no use arguing about this because as Floridians we all know the state is really run by the Big Mouse in Orlando. So let’s all settle down and wait for Mickey to tell us what to do.:cheers:
Best thing about mini season is that the protected areas are empty.
2 yrs in a row we were the only boat on Molasses reef

Had this experience in 2018. The dives were wonderful. Our only issue was the boat captain having to work his way around a diver diving in the navigational channel. Apparently legal. But doesn't strike me as super smart. I doubt all the rent-a-boats were as dutiful in slowing down as our captain was.

Had this experience in 2018. The dives were wonderful. Our only issue was the boat captain having to work his way around a diver diving in the navigational channel. Apparently legal. But doesn't strike me as super smart. I doubt all the rent-a-boats were as dutiful in slowing down as our captain was.
Reminds us of the dock scene from jaws lol
My friend is an officer for the fwc, the stories he tells

Well...during mini-season Capt. Bud doesn't always stay on the boat...o_O

Rainbow Reef prohibits hunting, except for Lionfish. So, there are options if you don't own your own boat. There are a number of Captain Morgans and Ensign Budweiser out during those two days. However, it can be a major economic windfall for a number of dive ops in the Keys.

Reminds us of the dock scene from jaws lol
My friend is an officer for the fwc, the stories he tells

I've seen people pull firearms on others who were "in their spot" during mini season. Boat ramming.... etc. For lobsters! When big pine key campground started being over run with large chest freezers, I knew it was all going too far. I also got sick of the non stop Jimmy Buffett.....

Off topic,, but FWC related - weekly reports are always great entertainment.

Weekly Reports

However, it can be a major economic windfall for a number of dive ops in the Keys.

I agree...I'm generally a proponent of "you can't fix stupid." (not to say everyone that enjoys mini-season is stupid...just a few :)) I've spent many wonderful summers in the Keys enjoying the diving. I always found mini-season a good time to hit the beach (Bahia Honda or Sombrero were my favs from Big Pine). I could soak up rays, play in the surf, and watch the shenanigans going on out at sea from a safe/patrolled environment. I was happy for the business locals that were busy and the non-business locals that were beside me on the beach. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom