Dive computer advances in the last decade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m28 only makes sense imo if you run a poseidon ccr

Sure, but I only have occasional CCR opportunities nowadays -- which is about as spontaneous as organizing a space shot -- due, in part, to rebreather complexity and the travel limitations posed by the covidiocy -- quite unlike the load of conventional dive gear, stored behind the seat of my truck -- wet and ready within minutes; and the M28 does have a decent open circuit setting.

Otherwise, it would just serve as a paperweight, through a good deal of 2020 . . .

I am still using the Aladin that I bought back in 1997. See NO reason to replace it whatsoever.
Same as Apeks regs that was bought in 1998.

Thanks for all the input. Seems like there have been advances, but within the basic level for recreational diving, not enough in my mind to justify a new one.

The one thing I saw that I may invest in is a low price puck that is designed to be a backup. Clips on and has multiple algorithms so you can better match your primary if you have to switch due to a failure. Given the age of mine, that might be a wise investment.

Thanks for all the input. Seems like there have been advances, but within the basic level for recreational diving, not enough in my mind to justify a new one.

The one thing I saw that I may invest in is a low price puck that is designed to be a backup. Clips on and has multiple algorithms so you can better match your primary if you have to switch due to a failure. Given the age of mine, that might be a wise investment.
What is/are your current computer(s)?

What backup are you looking at, the Oceanic BUD.? The discontinued Geo2 is available for just $70 more, a nice watch style computer, running the same deco algorithms

Heck, I'm still using my Suunto ML. You mean to tell me there are improved dive computers out there? Guess I'd better open a dive magazine more often. :)

GBqR6V.jpg

IGGDL7.jpg

If your computer is 12 years old, Nitrox compatible, user replaceable battery and you can see it underwater there is probably no need to replace it.

The new features:
Higher contrast color screens
Wireless (bluetooth) downloading (opposed to wired downloading - I have downloaded dives logged from 20 years ago)
Firmware updatable
User customization

FWIW I have not found a good reason to upgrade from my basic puck in a few years of vacation reef diving. It has its pluses, too, like battery life of 2 years and no sun glare on the screen.

I think in terms of features Garmin's about the only one with bang-per-buck, and its features have nothing to do with the actual dive computer: it's all the other bells and whistles of multi-sport activity-tracking smartwatch.

Unfortunately there isn't really such thing as "multiple algorithms": low price pucks run some not-100%-identical versions of "folded RGBM". Next up, the Oceanics that run DSAT and PZ+, PZ+-only PPS computers, and the new crop of ZH-L16-based ones with not-always-disclosed "tweaks". At high end you can get ZH-L16 and VPM-B, or "fused RGBM" and ZH-L16 on Eon Steel, if/when they release the ZH-L firmware update.

Make sure your back up runs on similar algorithm as your primary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom