• Screen, color or not

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Style, watch puck, console

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I beg your pardon. I worked hard and saved my money all summer after the 7th grade to buy my HP 11C. 40-ish years later and I still have it... :D

330px-Elektronika_mk52.jpg

I still have this, 30 years and 3 continents later (I was in 10th grade when they came out and didn't get one until a few years later, but still..)

The most important feature ... it must make me look even more marvelous :).

That KWS is spot on. Most computer have many if not all of features in the survey, but if one can not access those features intuitively then the user experience is frustrating.

There are many discussions on SB about choosing a dive computer. In your opinion, what is the single most important factor in choosing a recreational dive computer? Clearly, more than one variable may be important, or even determining, in your final choice of a computer.

Hello. (Long version.) :coffee: Choosing a dive computer, I think can be a very thought provoking process, and sometimes difficult. Like most "Things." in the dive industry....there are almost always "Variables."
Probably...what I like most about diving, giving it some thought.
Firstly, as a new diver....Who do you ask? I think in this era, most will turn to the "Internet." 2020 The "Top Ten." best dive computers in the world.:confused: or "Scubaboard." :):wink::yeahbaby:
The Dive Shop? Most of them are "Authorized." retailers' of 2 or more equipment manufacturers. Are they biased? Do they truly have your best interest at heart? I'm sure they wouldn't just sell you something that has a 300% markup on it, just to make money.:mad: Chances are good, the Instructor is wearing the gear the dive shop sells. unless you find a "Private Instructor."
(Example.) When, I graduated Pro Dive in Ft. Lauderdale in 2001, As a P.A.D.I., O.W.S.I. and Enriched Air Instructor, (Along with some other little badges.) :dork2:(Meaning, me..LOL.)
I was hired by a well known, reputable "Dive Center." in Morehead City, N.C. A week into it, I was told that I had to buy ScubaPro, or the "Other." brand. (At, a discount price of, course.)
I was outfitted with all U.S. Divers gear that was less than two years old. I refused.
I should say, that I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau, and the dive shop that I chose to teach me "Undersea Divers." in Beverly, Mass. carried U.S. Divers gear. (Was I biased?)
Sorry, off on a tangent. I believe that divers should buy gear that is modular, and can be used for future advancement, and training, (Including their computers.)
Regrettably, we don;t always know what that is, or what may be presented to us in the future. I think that the factors @scubadada has in the list, are not really necessities, but more personal preference. Although, granted they are factors.
Reading back through it.....Yeah, battery...probably a necessity. The "Real-Time Tracking" of your dive is definitely important.
Dive Computers | PADI
You can ask, all the "Basic questions."
What type of diving will you be doing?
Will you be diving three times a year in the Tropics, Antarctica, or the "Blue Hole." North of Dahab?
There are 12,777 "Basic." questions...I counted them...................................................Just kidding.
(Short version.) I chose "Decompression algorithm." as the "Single." most important. I tend to be very academic.It's not really by choice, it's just how my brain works. I did read the O.P. and, it clearly stated "Recreational."
So, Why would I choose that one? Well, there are many reasons why it says "Outlaw Solo Diver." under my user name. Maybe, I'll start a thread someday in that regard.
Maybe, I'll call it "Bulletproof Former Marine (Idiot.) Pushes the envelope. (Does stupid $H!7)

Hypothetical situation: Let's say that you didn't have any real reference point, went deeper than planned, and you've exceeded your N.D.L. by a very wide margin?
Regardless of how it happened your now facing a "Deco Obligation." :skull: Their are many "Recreational.' dive computers that will "lock you out."
What do you do then? Just pull your decompression table, out of your cargo pocket, and use your watch, and depth gauge. No problem....Right?
Right.:confined: Now your'e essentially "Trapped." underwater. If, your not properly trained for this? Wouldn't it be nice to have some assistance?

https://www.deepbluediving.org/can-dive-computer-lockouts/

When, I first got certified Open Water, I bought a U.S. Divers Matrix Computer.
The ability of a computer being able to lock you out, wasn't a factor, notion, or even something, I gave "Any." thought too. We don't know.....what we don't know.
So, maybe this is something that divers would take into consideration, after reading?
I use (2) Shearwater Perdix's (non-A.I.) for redundancy.
Disclaimer; I do not endorse, promote, or recommend using a dive computer to learn "Decompression Diving." Proper training is highly recommended.
View media item 209680View media item 209695Cheers.

Hypothetical situation: Let's say that you didn't have any real reference point, went deeper than planned, and you've exceeded your N.D.L. by a very wide margin?
Regardless of how it happened your now facing a "Deco Obligation." :skull: Their are many "Recreational.' dive computers that will "lock you out."
What recreational computers lock you out because you have a deco obligation?

Suntos will lock you out if you ignore their guidance for decompression on your ascent, but they do not lock you out if you are following that guidance. I am not aware of any that will lock you out during a dive that has gone into decompression as long as you are following their guidance. You should identify the ones that do so that people can avoid them.

My number one consideration is the reputation and experience of the manufacturer. Actually maybe the strap system is more important.

All the computers are basically the same, plus or minus a few relatively minor differences in display and features. If you need colour screens, multiple gases, trimix or CCR all the manufacturers can give you the features at a price.

However there have been various failed attempts at computers. Typically computers with a good sounding feature set but then killed by poor batter life or dreadfully unreliable software or some such failure to get a decent and reliable product to market. There have even been some which were the main go to computer in some sector for a few years and then die away.

My advice to new divers is always to buy cheap and learn what you personally care about.

What recreational computers lock you out because you have a deco obligation?

Suntos will lock you out if you ignore their guidance for decompression on your ascent, but they do not lock you out if you are following that guidance. I am not aware of any that will lock you out during a dive that has gone into decompression as long as you are following their guidance. You should identify the ones that do so that people can avoid them.

Hello, @boulderjohn How are you? I've always enjoyed your post, and your experience is far superior to mine. I didn't exactly understand your reply? As, we both know technically "Any" dive is a "Decompression." dive. From my understanding the algorithms used between "Recreational." dive computers, and "Technical." dive computers are not the same.
You said "Suntos will lock you out if you ignore their guidance for decompression on your ascent, but they do not lock you out if you are following that guidance. I am not aware of any that will lock you out during a dive that has gone into decompression as long as you are following their guidance."
As much, as I try to be specific, my post are not always that way. My point was, I guess? If, the guidance of the computer was ignored "Accidentally." or by no fault of your own....Maybe being tangled in 40 lb test fishing line for 8 minutes. and you exceeded your N.D.L. by a wide margin "Regardless of how it happened, or the scenario." would your computer "Lock" you out, or give you the necessary information to get safely back to the surface?
If, you were planning a dive to 100 fsw for 30 minutes would a "Recreational." say Cressi Leonardo be appropriate, or a ScubaPro G2? If, you were not planning that dive, which is kind of my point, would the Cressi be able to function, and give you guidance?
Many computers go into a "lockout" mode for 24 hours if the diver violates the computer's safety limits, to discourage continued diving after an unsafe dive. While in lockout mode, these computers will not function until the lockout period has ended. When this happens underwater it will leave the diver without any decompression information at the time when it is most needed.
Excerpt from O.P. "What do you do then? Just pull your decompression table, out of your cargo pocket, and use your watch, and depth gauge. No problem....Right?
Other computers, for example, will continue to function, providing 'best guess' functionality whilst warning the diver that a stop has been missed, or stop ceiling violated.
Buying A Dive Computer: Reviews of the best Dive Computers 2019
Buying a Shearwater Perdix Dive Computer: Read the In-depth review first
The Best Technical Diving Computers 2019 %
As far, as compiling a list of computers...That you suggested. I am unwilling. I'll let the members do their own research. I would prefer a computer that would be capable in "All." situations, rather than "Most"
My answer is still "Decompression Algorithm."
Cheers.

As, we both know technically "Any" dive is a "Decompression." dive. From my understanding the algorithms used between "Recreational." dive computers, and "Technical." dive computers are not the same.
Yes, you have to decompress on all dives, but I was using the terms commonly used to differentiate between a dive where a stop is mandatory and where there is no mandatory stop. That is what most people mean when they talk about going into decompression (or deco) on a dive, and that is how I used the terms.

My point was, I guess? If, the guidance of the computer was ignored "Accidentally." or by no fault of your own....Maybe being tangled in 40 lb test fishing line for 8 minutes. and you exceeded your N.D.L. by a wide margin "Regardless of how it happened, or the scenario." would your computer "Lock" you out, or give you the necessary information to get safely back to the surface?
If, you were planning a dive to 100 fsw for 30 minutes would a "Recreational." say Cressi Leonardo be appropriate, or a ScubaPro G2? If, you were not planning that dive, which is kind of my point, would the Cressi be able to function, and give you guidance?
We are not talking about doing the same thing when we talk about following the guidance of the computer. You seem to be talking about getting into what I termed "decompression" in the quote above. I am talking about following the computers guidance AFTER that happens. If you violate the computers NDL guidance, you have gone into deco. The computer will then tell you how to reach the surface safely by doing the mandatory stop or stops. Both the Cressi and the ScubaPro will do that. If you ignore that guidance and ascend without doing those stops, the computer will likely lock you out. It will not, however, lock you out if you are ascending as directed.

Many computers go into a "lockout" mode for 24 hours if the diver violates the computer's safety limits, to discourage continued diving after an unsafe dive.
As I just wrote, it will lock you out if you ascend too quickly after being in decompression.

Here is a story to illustrate it. I was doing a series of dives over several days with students taking various classes. On some dives I was working with some students, and others just dived on their own. After one of the dives, one of the divers who was diving on his own asked me a question after we surfaced. He said his computer (Suunto) was acting strange. Its NDL display had changed while he was at depth, and it had started to count minutes up rather than down. I immediately recognized that he had gone into deco, and his computer was telling him how long he had to do a deco stop. That computer had given him some time on the surface to get back down to the safety stop, but just as I looked at it, it had gone into error mode, meaning a 48 our shutdown. I took him back down to 15 feet, where we stayed until I was sure he was OK, after which we surfaced, and I put him on oxygen. His computer shut down because he had surfaced without doing the mandatory stop; it did not shut down until then.

Here is another story. I was doing a simple recreational dive in the ocean. I had had a failure of my SPG, and I had replaced it with my old Suunto Cobra, an air integrated computer that would tell me my gas pressure. I was using a wrist computer as my primary. While diving, my mind wandered, and I wondered how long it had been since I had used the Cobra. I suddenly realized I had used it last in Colorado, where I had set its manual altitude adjustment to its highest elevation range. My wrist computer had an automatic altitude adjustment, so it was set for sea level. Sure enough, the Cobra had me in deco already, and my wrist computer had me nowhere near deco. As I neared the end of the planned dive, I had to decide whether to do the Cobra's mistaken mandatory 10 minutes of deco, and I decided that no, I would let it go into error mode, since it would still work as an SPG that way. Again, it shut down because I did not do the deco it was telling me to do; it did not shut down until I missed the deco.

Summary: I do not believe there is any computer currently on the market that will shut down simply because you go into deco. I believe they will all try to get you safely to the surface through mandatory stops. Most will shut down if you do not do those mandatory stops, but not until then.

Yes, you have to decompress on all dives, but I was using the terms commonly used to differentiate between a dive where a stop is mandatory and where there is no mandatory stop. That is what most people mean when they talk about going into decompression (or deco) on a dive, and that is how I used the terms.

We are not talking about doing the same thing when we talk about following the guidance of the computer. You seem to be talking about getting into what I termed "decompression" in the quote above. I am talking about following the computers guidance AFTER that happens. If you violate the computers NDL guidance, you have gone into deco. The computer will then tell you how to reach the surface safely by doing the mandatory stop or stops. Both the Cressi and the ScubaPro will do that. If you ignore that guidance and ascend without doing those stops, the computer will likely lock you out. It will not, however, lock you out if you are ascending as directed.

As I just wrote, it will lock you out if you ascend too quickly after being in decompression.

Here is a story to illustrate it. I was doing a series of dives over several days with students taking various classes. On some dives I was working with some students, and others just dived on their own. After one of the dives, one of the divers who was diving on his own asked me a question after we surfaced. He said his computer (Suunto) was acting strange. Its NDL display had changed while he was at depth, and it had started to count minutes up rather than down. I immediately recognized that he had gone into deco, and his computer was telling him how long he had to do a deco stop. That computer had given him some time on the surface to get back down to the safety stop, but just as I looked at it, it had gone into error mode, meaning a 48 our shutdown. I took him back down to 15 feet, where we stayed until I was sure he was OK, after which we surfaced, and I put him on oxygen. His computer shut down because he had surfaced without doing the mandatory stop; it did not shut down until then.

Here is another story. I was doing a simple recreational dive in the ocean. I had had a failure of my SPG, and I had replaced it with my old Suunto Cobra, an air integrated computer that would tell me my gas pressure. I was using a wrist computer as my primary. While diving, my mind wandered, and I wondered how long it had been since I had used the Cobra. I suddenly realized I had used it last in Colorado, where I had set its manual altitude adjustment to its highest elevation range. My wrist computer had an automatic altitude adjustment, so it was set for sea level. Sure enough, the Cobra had me in deco already, and my wrist computer had me nowhere near deco. As I neared the end of the planned dive, I had to decide whether to do the Cobra's mistaken mandatory 10 minutes of deco, and I decided that no, I would let it go into error mode, since it would still work as an SPG that way. Again, it shut down because I did not do the deco it was telling me to do; it did not shut down until I missed the deco.

Summary: I do not believe there is any computer currently on the market that will shut down simply because you go into deco. I believe they will all try to get you safely to the surface through mandatory stops. Most will shut down if you do not do those mandatory stops, but not until then.

I concur. I bought my first Suunto Cobra nearly 20 years ago. (It was nearly a thousand dollars.) Yikes. I still have (2) of them....haven't used them in years.
The Author of this page, at the bottom makes his "Suunto." opinion known.
he Best Technical Diving Computers 2019 %
Have a great day @boulderjohn Again.....I always enjoy your post.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom