attaching a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
in a recent post " air 2 connector to standard quick disconnect " i mentioned i'd picked up a bp&w
i have what i assume is a fairly standard ss backplate, 15.5" long
for attaching the wing, the plate has a vertical slot at the bottom and 3 holes at the top
the wing itself has 3 grommet holes at the bottom and 3 holes at the top
i assume if the wing is mounted to low the top of the plate may interfere with the inflator hose
if the wing is to high other problems will occur
is there a standard starting point for attaching the wing
is there a "standard best position" for the wing on the plate
thanks again all, for your help

In my experience, it depends on a lot of factors. Drysuit vs wetsuit, single vs doubles, SS vs AL, etc. I would start with the center top hole and adjust from there.

DW

As DW said lots of variables here, try it out and adjust from there

my wing does not attach to the plate. it floats,,, the tank holds it in place when diving singles. I use an oxycheq wing so the sta is part of the wing.

Feet heavy, wing lower, head heavy, wing higher. Test and adjust to what works best (for you). Also, sometimes stuff just doesn't line up with different manufactures and you have to go with what is "close enough". As some have said, it also can "float", and is locked in place with the cam straps cinching it between the tank and the plate. Some placements may conflict with bolts and the tank.

Raising and lowering the tank can also solve things, so you have lots of options to tweak it.

No universal solution, because we are all different.

in a recent post " air 2 connector to standard quick disconnect " i mentioned i'd picked up a bp&w
i have what i assume is a fairly standard ss backplate, 15.5" long
for attaching the wing, the plate has a vertical slot at the bottom and 3 holes at the top
the wing itself has 3 grommet holes at the bottom and 3 holes at the top
i assume if the wing is mounted to low the top of the plate may interfere with the inflator hose
if the wing is to high other problems will occur
is there a standard starting point for attaching the wing
is there a "standard best position" for the wing on the plate
thanks again all, for your help

Hello. I was curious about the name brand? Are you using a S.T.A. Are you using "Cam bands." Nuts, and bolts?
I think, as a baseline they should be 11 inches (28cm.) apart on center.
Try measuring from the bottom hole to the top of the slot, I'd be curious what the distance is?
Cheers.
Apeks Backplate.jpg

Attachments

• Apeks Backplate.jpg
    Apeks Backplate.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 40
boston....
i am not using a sta, will see if i need one..
for now i'll align the tank to the plate by eye, that seems to work fine with two cam bands..
am using 2 ss buckle cam bands..
the wing is bolted to the plate with bookscrews..
Try measuring from the bottom hole to the top of the slot ... the measurement you asked for is 9 3/8"..
the distance from the top of the slot to the top hole is 11"..

boston....
i am not using a sta, will see if i need one..
for now i'll align the tank to the plate by eye, that seems to work fine with two cam bands..
am using 2 ss buckle cam bands..
the wing is bolted to the plate with bookscrews..
Try measuring from the bottom hole to the top of the slot ... the measurement you asked for is 9 3/8"..
the distance from the top of the slot to the top hole is 11"..
Cool. A lot of this is trial, and error. I have faith you'll figure it out.:cool:
:cheers:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if using a wing with just the cam bands, there really isn't a way to adjust the placement on the plate since it is strung through the plate itself (unless there are multiple slots on the wing to thread cambands). My halcyon 30 wing requires an STA since it does not have slots to thread camband through it.

Here is an old halcyon wing sitting in my dive storage that I never use.

IMG_09281-scaled.jpg

Wing without camband slots (my wing is attached to my backplate right now so I couldn't get a picture but the stock photo shows the same thing.)

279-5012.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom