Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ugh regarding ferry. Do you know if that was during the week or for work hours? I’m flying in tomorrow to Cancun to avoid American packing their planes and selling middle seats. Getting the 4pm Ultramar and was planning to sit outside. I guess we will just get in line early to make sure we can sit outside.

Well, AA MIA—>CUN was completely full no empty seats.

Ugh regarding ferry. Do you know if that was during the week or for work hours? I’m flying in tomorrow to Cancun to avoid American packing their planes and selling middle seats. Getting the 4pm Ultramar and was planning to sit outside. I guess we will just get in line early to make sure we can sit outside.

No idea which ferry, they added one earlier in the morning starting today I think - double check both the Facebook pages to confirm new schedules.

No idea which ferry, they added one earlier in the morning starting today I think - double check both the Facebook pages to confirm new schedules.
How often under normal life do these ferries run? Will be taking one for the first time on August 7th...to CZM.

How often under normal life do these ferries run? Will be taking one for the first time on August 7th...to CZM.

Normal life, they both run every hour on the hour from 7am to 10pm - both companies running at the same time. Both ferries would leave Cozumel dock at 7am, made no sense but that's what they did.

Since the plague, the are rotating days and running some set schedule but only one company each day, one runs odd days, the other even days.

Friend was in Playa yesterday and said many people over there..... My wife and son are flying out of Cancun next Thursday and have to spend the night somewhere as it's a morning flight....

You're still 30 days out, who only knows what it'll be like by then - I'd just keep an eye on Ferry schedules to see what's going on, maybe practice breath holding skills - I gotta ride that damn thing with wife and kid SMH.

I got the 4pm ultramar 2 weeks ago and it was next to empty going to Coz. Generally the morning one over and the morning and evening ones coming back are busier... i was at the terminal at 2pm and o was the first person there.

From the 11-July update (week-to-week)
Code:
                                  7/4  ->   7/11   % Chg
                                -----      -----   -----
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           4,169  ->  5,030   20.7%
     Social Isolation           1,249  ->  1,598   27.9%
     Hospitalized                 256  ->    343   34.0%
     Recovered                  2,049  ->  2,396   16.9%
     Deaths                       616  ->    693   12.5%
Q Roo Tests pending               516  ->    698   35.3%

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               95  ->    122   28.4%
     Recovered                     47  ->     49    4.3%
     Deaths                        17  ->     20   17.6%
     % Hospital rooms in use       43% ->     51%  18.6%

Increasing case velocity
     QRoo South                    1.7 ->     1.82   7.1%
     QRoo North                    4.9 ->     4.45  -9.2%

Semaphore status:
                                  7/6-7/12     7/13-7/19
     QRoo South                     Orange  ->   Red
     QRoo North                     Orange  ->   Orange
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1281998680648757249/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

Interesting that the southern half of QRoo went back to "Red" on the semaphore system, even though the velocity went down. No particular comment about the change on the governor's Facebook page. Several of the smaller municipalities are reporting very high hospital room utilization - Bacalar (north of Chetumal, has some tourist industry) is at 67%, Chetumal at 80%, and Felipe Carrillo Pueblo (south of Tulum) at 100%.

FYI, I am now off the island, so I'm not as tuned into local activities. @ChuckP chimes in here from time to time and should be able to contribute that perspective.

FYI data worse today. 11 new cases, Cozumel hospitals 60 percent occupied versus 51 percent yesterday. I (and many others) have noted that official case count is very low due to lack of testing. I used to think actual number was 10x reported (government was saying 8x or 9x) , but I wouldn’t be surprised at 20x or 30x at this point. I don’t know the actual numbers but I have seen multiple anecdotal data points that point to high numbers The complacency I have seen is disturbing, both among expats who should know better and locals. Tired of seeing boats go by filled with locals at 100+ percent of capacity. EDIT: Just to note , both the government and the vast majority of the people here really are still trying with masks /hand sanitizer etc —it just seems some have been letting their guard down.

I still argue that mathematically Cozumel cannot survive without tourists until hopefully there is a vaccine early next year , so please come. Just wear masks , use sanitizer and don’t let your guard down

If you are going to argue against economic necessity , please tell me where around 1 to 1.5 million dollars per day in lost tourist revenue is supposed to come from That is my best guest in normal tourist revenue based on 4 million plus cruisers and 200k international tourists into CZM , plus who knows how many on ferry. I hate modern super-sized cruise ships , but going to zero overnight isn’t what I had in mind

Just to be clear , I don’t own a business on the island. I don’t have a dog in this fight other than wanting what is best for the island and the people here

I see they just opened the other terminal at Cancun to deal with the tourist ‘influx’

EDIT: Just to note , both the government and the vast majority of the people here really are still trying with masks /hand sanitizer etc —it just seems some have been letting their guard down.

I still argue that mathematically Cozumel cannot survive without tourists until hopefully there is a vaccine early next year , so please come. Just wear masks , use sanitizer and don’t let your guard down

If you are going to argue against economic necessity , please tell me where around 1 to 1.5 million dollars per day in lost tourist revenue is supposed to come from That is my best guest in normal tourist revenue based on 4 million plus cruisers and 200k international tourists into CZM , plus who knows how many on ferry. I hate modern super-sized cruise ships , but going to zero overnight isn’t what I had in mind

I second these points, and these emotions. I've been on the island since July 4. The level of mask compliance that I have seen is very high, 95%+ most days, but they seem to come off pretty quick at the local public beaches. Other than that, what I've seen overall is a level of seriousness with regard to safety that significantly eclipses what we're doing in the states, at least in my region (east TN, southwest VA). Masks are mandatory everywhere and as soon as you hit the sidewalk, the taxis won't let you in without one. The restaurants won't let you take a mask off until you actually reach your table, and if you need to hit the restroom you have to put it back on even for that short walk. Each taxi has a bottle of hand sanitizer and they give you a dollop, and the drivers take one themselves, before you go anywhere. Temperature checks are done before you can enter most businesses, and you get another squeeze of hand sanitizer there as well. One person at a time into the Chedraui, no shopping with your spouse or significant other. And one thing here that I haven't seen anywhere at home - they're sanitizing people's shoes. You'll have a plastic doormat that's filled with some kind of bleach liquid or something, you have to step in it and then onto a towel that's on the floor beyond it. What that accomplishes I do not know, but I can't imagine there's a downside to it, so my shoes haven't been this sanitary since they came out of the box new.

The divers appear to be coming back in decent force already, my operator (ScubaLuis) was dead in the water until late June, after which he's picked up enough bookings to be busy every day the entire month of July and into August. We started diving July 5, very few boats that day but we noticed an increase every day after that. Still not back to what it used to be, but there's a definite uptick. Talked to a Dive Paradise boat captain today, he said they're doing "OK" but have decent reservations the rest of the month as well.

That said, this island has taken a Mike Tyson punch to the face and is HURTING BADLY. I've lost track of how many boarded up businesses in downtown, a lot of which look like they're closed for good. The 7-11 on Melgar, Los Palmeras restaurant (the one on Melgar right across from the passenger ferry, that's been there a long time), the carpet and rug store on Melgar down by Guidos - are just a few that come to mind right now, all are closed, furniture and fixtures gone, completely empty. The latest word on when the cruise ships will be back? Depending on who you believe, its either the end of September or the end of the year. The pain is going to continue for quite awhile unfortunately.

So if you're on the fence, I say come on down as well. Bring your hand sanitizer and a bunch of masks, and IMHO you're probably going to be safer here than you will be in the states for the reasons stated above, and this place needs some money in a very bad way. And I forgot to mention that there's enough restaurants open to keep things interesting as well, even if some of them are only open Wednesday or Thursday to Saturday. We've hit Buccanos, Thirsty Cougar, Casa Mission, and Rolandis so far.

Still on the fence? Maybe this will help - the reefs look OUTSTANDING, the best by far that I've ever seen them and I've been coming here at least twice a year for the past 15 years. Vibrant colors and healthy coral abound, from what I can tell even the brain coral appears to be healing from the SCTLD or whatever it is they've been fighting. Lots of life around too, we saw 5 nurse sharks within about 10 minutes on Yucab the other day.

My opinion only of course, your mileage may vary. If I run into anything else material to report, I'll post further.

Back
Top Bottom