Dive computer advances in the last decade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 597107

I still have some old Suunto Solutions, from the early nineties, which still work quite well and still see occasional use; though, they pre-date the wider use of nitrox, if I recall; and I also have a number of more recent computers, which allow for open or closed circuit gas switching and the choice of different dive table models.

If you're simply interested in occasional recreational diving, what you have on hand, should certainly suffice. There have been a few strides in computer development; but, like everything in the scuba and skiing world, there is that perennial economic effort to reinvent the wheel . . .

Bigbella, could you tell me what kind of device is on your screen in a middle??

Bigbella, could you tell me what kind of device is on your screen in a middle??

From left to right, a Suunto Solution, a Cobra2; and a Poseidon M28 (used for open or closed circuit diving) . . .

From left to right, a Suunto Solution, a Cobra2; and a Poseidon M28 (used for open or closed circuit diving) . . .
Thank you. It seems I was thinking about Poseidon M28 :wink: It's quite expensive piece of equipment.

I love my 20 year old Cobra. I think the newer computers are just an added expense if you old one works. If it`s nitrox capable, no real need to upgrade. Just like an old good quality reg. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it. (or in the case of regulators-rebuild it)
I have a Cobra 1 and it's never missed a beat in about 20 years.

Thank you. It seems I was thinking about Poseidon M28 :wink: It's quite expensive piece of equipment.

Thankfully, I knew where some bodies were buried -- more properly, scuttled; and the price that I paid for that one, was more akin to a Teric . . .

I have a Cobra 1 and it's never missed a beat in about 20 years.
My Cobra 1 used to just "reset" in the middle of the dive day. That and the fact that if you preset it for nitrox before a dive it would revert to air after a couple hours. Piece of @#$&.

My Cobra 1 used to just "reset" in the middle of the dive day. That and the fact that if you preset it for nitrox before a dive it would revert to air after a couple hours. Piece of @#$&.

I must be an outlier with Suunto. I've had a couple of Cobras for decades, without any depth sensor abnormalities , or any of those other problems that you've experienced.

Having said that, I distrust air-integration, having had serial failures. The computers were Christmas gifts over the years; and If a girlfriend or wife buys you a loud, ridiculous-looking shirt or an expensive dive widget, you'd better damn well put it to use . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom