Aliexpress and other Cheap Stuff Thread

Do you buy/trust cheap unbrand/nobrand Chinese stuff?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can definitely tell where corners were cut, but the video lights are waaaay cheaper than something from even big blue. and they hold up for a few years if you do a little maintenance. the 18650s are generally junk, stick with the panasonic/sanyo/LG/samsung name brand ones there.

I’ve got the video lights and 18650’s. Work great. Those SMBs look nice I might have to pick one up.

Has anyone tried one of these?

18lbs/30lbs/50lbs Scuba Diving Donut Wing Single Tank Snorkeling Tech Cylinder Freediving BCD Buoyancy Compensator Safety Equip
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUZ8YsO

I've purchased several strobe arms and clamps. No complaints about the quality and they are much less expensive than domestic suppliers

Has anyone tried one of these?
18lbs/30lbs/50lbs Scuba Diving Donut Wing Single Tank Snorkeling Tech Cylinder Freediving BCD Buoyancy Compensator Safety Equip
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUZ8YsO
I might've thought about it if I weren't sidemounting and getting into caves soon. Initially got a jacket BCD lightly used for 300, no regrets there. At the same time, I'd overinflate it and push it initially in shallow water before I took something like that to a night dive with 400ft below me :cool:.

Those SMBs look nice I might have to pick one up.
The non-gimmicky ones are freaking great - for 20-30 bucks, I got a 180cm one and it is easily comparable to ones you'd find for $100+ in a dive shop. 3 different ways to inflate, pretty big, it has all the bells and whistles I would skimp on if I were seeing the numbers in a dive shop. Can't see in any way the product could be better for that pricepoint.

I've got a "Scuba Choice" prescription mask bought from Amazon, but shipped from China iirc. I originally bought it as a backup but it ended up being my favourite. On a lark I ordered some Yonsub tech shorts from aliexpress. I'll see what they are like when they get here. They managed to reach Canada, so shouldn't more than another few weeks.

After a forced surface interval I picked up some Chinese gear. Back up lights, 2 of which I have had for 18 months. Two other cheap backup lights I just received. Cheap can light about 2 years ago. Multiple 18650's and 26650's. I have been happy with all of it, except the two new backup lights that I have not tested. They have been flawless for regaining muscle memory, getting comfortable in the water again.

All that being said, before I get back to doing overhead dives most (if not all) of these items will be replaced.

ETA-forgot to mention EMT shears, folding knife, and a couple fixed blade knives. These I will continue to carry. I am a fan of only losing a few bucks if I drop a tool at the wrong time.

DW

you can definitely tell where corners were cut, but the video lights are waaaay cheaper than something from even big blue. and they hold up for a few years if you do a little maintenance. the 18650s are generally junk, stick with the panasonic/sanyo/LG/samsung name brand ones there.

+1. Stick to sanyo/panasonic 18650s esp. if you have other flashlights that use them.

I had the rivet in my el-cheapo EMT shears rust away and fall out when I actually needed them, so my next pair's going to be the DGX upgrade. This hasn't happened to my $2 folding knives so far, but I practically never use them anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom