Outrageous V Openings Summer 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m going to open myself to ridicule but I have a shark question. I am not one of those super comfortable around them and have very limited experience, just nurses and some Caribbean reef sharks.

My question is how to behave around the sharks that frequent the NC wrecks, what should I expect and how should I act? Do they more or less ignore you, you mind your business and they mind theirs. How to handle close encounters etc.

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am not well versed in shark etiquette and don’t want to commit a faux pas.
Not a silly question at all. Shark etiquette is always en vogue.
Mostly don't touch and just watch.
The common shark we have are Sand Tiger Sharks. Very easy going sharks to swim with. They usually hover almost motionless in the water column. They are generally photogenic. If they bumped into you it was because you are in their way. Aeolus and Spar have a handful at all times. The Caribsea and Atlas have gobs of them. On all wrecks there is the stray chance to see other types of sharks.
No big deal, you are just another fish to them. These sharks are in their natural environment and not fed like some areas of FL and Bahamas.

Ever do any spearfishing trips?

And now often do you end up cancelling for weather? I live inland and have to travel so that's kind of a big deal for me. Usually tried to dive out of Wilmington the past few years but after booking 20 dives and only getting to do 1 I've pretty much given up. I'll pull up Aquatic Safari's calendar every so often to see how often they're cancelling and I swear its like 75%

Yes, weather effects everyone or changes your location for the day. Captains Lady at Discovery does spear fishing trips as does Capt. Cindy Norris on Instigator specializes in spearfishing trips and usually has good luck. She has openings and posts them regularly on her FB page.

I’m going to open myself to ridicule but I have a shark question. I am not one of those super comfortable around them and have very limited experience, just nurses and some Caribbean reef sharks.

My question is how to behave around the sharks that frequent the NC wrecks, what should I expect and how should I act? Do they more or less ignore you, you mind your business and they mind theirs. How to handle close encounters etc.

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am not well versed in shark etiquette and don’t want to commit a faux pas.

I have dove there and saw the sharks...they are pretty docile and just hang out. I pretty much just parked myself and watched them. It can be hit or miss from what I understand so I'm glad I have had the opportunity to see the Sand Tiger Shark.

Greatly enjoyed the 3 tanker last Friday with Dean and the Gang. Thanks for the heads up on availablity.

We are coming down next week, what are the current temps at depth on the wrecks?

Recent dive days for the past month have produced great visibility and water Temps. Add to this the excellent groups we have hosted this summer and it's been a really fun season.
There is still plenty of room for groups and individual Walk-ons.

Lots of new looks this summer!!

Come See Us!

Attachments

• 107593973_159025759025156_3096776880957543788_n.jpg
    107593973_159025759025156_3096776880957543788_n.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 99

Back
Top Bottom