What the heck am I doing wrong? Olympus Tough 5 red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Olympus Tough 5. I have the correct housing. I bought a red filter. When I put it on the outside of the housing...all I get is solid red—at all depths. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Solid red as in all you see is red or that your pictures all have a reddish tone? If reddish tone, what did you set your white balance to?

Solid red as in all you see is red or that your pictures all have a reddish tone? If reddish tone, what did you set your white balance to?

Solid red.

Interesting. Why not just drop the filter and use the custom white balance the TG5 offers? You can use your slate or bring down a grey card. I found backscatters video series on the TG5 very helpful.

Hey @Catito what mode are you shooting in with the filter on? Are you using strobes too, internal flash off?

I had a tg4, never used filters, always had pretty good success with just the UW modes only for snorkeling/shallow and strobes for depth.

Even with ambient light, the TG-5 does really well without any filters.
With artificial light, you do NOT want a filter.

I would recommend a red filter for ambient light (no flash, strobes or video lights) photography/videography at depths greater than 30'.

For internal flash, strobes or video lights, remove the red filter at any depth.

I have the TG4 and I manually set my white balance because it's so easy to do. You can use the back of someone's tank if it's a gray tank even instead of taking a slate with you.

There are red filters and there are underwater red filters. Usually the underwater ones are more orange than red. I took a gamble by ordering one on eBay that showed an orange filter with the word Dive on the side. When it arrived, it was a plain red filter, which I've had experience with before. It just makes everything red, not solid red, but very tinted red.

Although I don't have a TG, an underwater mode is your best bet. I use a Canon G12 and with its underwater mode, I get pretty good colors. Obviously, after 15m or so, the amount of red light will be so diminished that underwater mode won't be enough.

I use the TG5 every day, it’s a a fantastic camera for point and shoot underwater photos. I’ve never used a filter, just the underwater setting. I sometimes put the photos through the app ‘Diver+’ for “colour correction”
I always use the housing even on shallow dives.
I get good results on the macro setting too. Check out Instagram #yawanadive for my photos.
I really like the simplicity of this camera. Even an amateur like me can get at least one good pic on every dive.

Attachments

• 8417E97C-B796-4DA8-BCE9-A02EB6F8B3B7.jpeg
    8417E97C-B796-4DA8-BCE9-A02EB6F8B3B7.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 134
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom