Dive computer advances in the last decade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I started diving 12 years ago, moved to the upper midwest 9 years ago and other than a few trips to the keys (a couple days away from the In-laws over the holidays each year) haven't done much diving in those 9 years. I bought my computer when I first started diving and haven't paid any attention to the tech side of them since.

Have moved back east and close to the water (plus my kid is going off to college so I have time again) and I'm pulling my gear out and dusting it off. Decided to look at new computers and get a new one to take advantage of the tech advancements of the last decade. What surprised me is that there don't appear to be many. Most I see is that most computers now connect to PCs or smartphones to dump log data.

Am I missing something? I realize that at its core a dive computer is a fairly simple device and the need hasn't changed much, but even the displays are the same still using the 8 to form all the numbers just like a digital clock from the 70s. If there isn't anything new, I might just dust off the old ones.

Am I missing something? I realize that at its core a dive computer is a fairly simple device and the need hasn't changed much, but even the displays are the same still using the 8 to form all the numbers just like a digital clock from the 70s. If there isn't anything new, I might just dust off the old ones.

Yes you are missing something.

Find a new computer (EON Core is what I dive) and you will see some very nice displays.

Since I don't have an old computer to compare to all I can say is that my screen is DEFINITELY not based on an 8 making all the numbers...

ETA:
2_eon_core_lime_perspective_tank_imperial.png

Your old computers will probably be just fine. After 12 years, you may find your eyes are not quite the same however and they won't get the advantages of new understanding of diving physiology.

This is where a lot of change has occurred actually. Newer dive computers have moved closer to smartphones in a few ways. They adopted Bright Color High Contrast OLED or LCD displays. People over 40 or 50 (like myself) tend to have a harder time seeing the older dim gray LCD's on legacy computers. The new color displays make a big difference to many.

Connectivity via Bluetooth and lots of memory to store dive profiles are another. The popularity of fitness tracking and the added simplicity of dive logging via a smartphone are present in many new devices.

New computers are often updatable too, which means that manufactures can keep your device improving with new algos or fixing bugs in the old ones.

Finally, there are improvements in the dive algorithms that have kept abreast of the latest research into decompression stress and physiology.

shearwaters all have either an amoled or led color display

the garmin descent is a multifunction fitness tracker and smartwatch in addition to a dive computer. shame it doesn't have AI.

Unless you are getting a higher end computer, nothing has really changed in the last 10 years with few exceptions. The inexpensive computer of today is (possibly) the exact same model from 10 years ago. Maybe with a download dongle or bluetooth capability added. It might come in a color other than black.

IMG_2321.JPG
Decided to look at new computers and get a new one to take advantage of the tech advancements of the last decade. What surprised me is that there don't appear to be many. Most I see is that most computers now connect to PCs or smartphones to dump log data.

I still have some old Suunto Solutions, from the early nineties, which still work quite well and still see occasional use; though, they pre-date the wider use of nitrox, if I recall; and I also have a number of more recent computers, which allow for open or closed circuit gas switching and the choice of different dive table models.

If you're simply interested in occasional recreational diving, what you have on hand, should certainly suffice. There have been a few strides in computer development; but, like everything in the scuba and skiing world, there is that perennial economic effort to reinvent the wheel . . .

I love my 20 year old Cobra. I think the newer computers are just an added expense if you old one works. If it`s nitrox capable, no real need to upgrade. Just like an old good quality reg. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it. (or in the case of regulators-rebuild it)

The new computers have updated algorithms and new features including bluetooth to download your log data. Some also have high contrast color screens and most have either rechargeable or user replaceable batteries.

You need your dive time, your depth, your NDL, the ability to dive nitrox, if you do, everything else is elective. There have been many "improvements" choose what you want. My primary computer is 10 years old, works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom