northern New England conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail: Rhode Island Sound

ANZ235 Forecast Issued: 717 PM EDT Wed Jul 08 2020

Tonight...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Gusts Up To 20 Kt This Evening. Seas 2 To 3 Ft. Patchy Fog After Midnight With Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Thu...S Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Seas Around 2 Ft. Patchy Fog. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.
Thu Night...S Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Seas 2 To 3 Ft. Patchy Fog. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Fri...Se Winds 5 To 10 Kt, Increasing To 10 To 15 Kt With Gusts Up To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Seas 2 To 4 Ft. Patchy Fog. Showers And Tstms Likely. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Fri Night And Sat...S Winds 15 To 20 Kt. Seas 5 To 8 Ft. Showers And Tstms. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.
Sat Night...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Gusts Up To 20 Kt In The Evening. Seas 4 To 6 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.

Sun...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Seas 3 To 5 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms.
Sun Night And Mon...Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Seas 4 To 6 Ft.

Mon Night...Sw Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Seas 4 To 6 Ft. A Chance Of Showers And Tstms. Winds And Seas Higher In And Near Tstms. Seas Are Reported As Significant Wave Height, Which Is The Average Of The Highest Third Of The Waves. Individual Wave Heights May Be More Than Twice The Significant Wave Height.

I'm hoping NE weather will do what's it known for and change last minute. Pool laps are fun but being in the ocean is better.

@formernuke or anyone else would be interested in diving the East Passage from the back of Fort Adams with me this Sat or Sun?
It is as a protected as can be found in RI with south winds and not a bad dive, lots of boat traffic so no coming up to look around, nav by compass, depth and bottom features only. The entry is easy, so much so that classes dive there, before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.
High tide Sat 1330 Sun 1408. I usually start before the ebb and swim against the current until it ebbs and then turn 15 min into the ebb so I don't have to swim against the current on the way back. Splash time 1315 Sat /1355 Sun

I saw on Facebook, one diver having to be rescues on Monday, one diver found dead on Tuesday both off nubble lighthouse. And one making a good call in cape Ann of looking at ocean conditions and canceling prior to getting in.

So are there any people here that can report if things have calmed down?

Going to Cathedral today, with some alternatives in mind. Will let you know how it went.

@formernuke or anyone else would be interested in diving the East Passage from the back of Fort Adams with me this Sat or Sun?
It is as a protected as can be found in RI with south winds and not a bad dive, lots of boat traffic so no coming up to look around, nav by compass, depth and bottom features only. The entry is easy, so much so that classes dive there.
High tide Sat 1330 Sun 1408. I usually start before the ebb and swim against the current until it ebbs and then turn 15 min into the ebb so I don't have to swim against the current on the way back. Splash time 1315 Sat /1355 Sun

I would, but I have kids this weekend :( Then off to NC on Wednesday :)

It is as a protected as can be found in RI with south winds and not a bad dive, lots of boat traffic so no coming up to look around, nav by compass, depth and bottom features only. The entry is easy, so much so that classes dive there.

I'm in

I would, but I have kids this weekend :( Then off to NC on Wednesday :)

No, no, kids are great enjoy them! I don't get to see mine enough these days. :(

NC Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Looks like the storm is turning way inshore early, but there will still be some heavy heavy groundswell causing a nasty heave that will beat you into any south facing shoreline. Gonna be a crappy weekend overall. Guess I'll catch up on sleep.

So here's the deal if we get a lot of rain I'm calling the dive, it'll save you a trip to RI for a lousy dive. The runoff will ruin any chance of acceptable visibility. The water in the East Passage north of Hammersmith Farm will be calm enough despite of the south winds however the water coming into the Passage may not be so great vis wise ad rain runoff to that and it's Helen Keller diving. I'll txt you.
EDIT: I just checked the Marine Forecast. Doesn't look good.

The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail:
ANZ235 Forecast Issued: 1016 AM EDT Thu Jul 09 2020

Fri Night...Se Winds 15 To 20 Kt With Gusts Up To 25 Kt. Seas 4 To 7 Ft. Showers With Tstms Likely. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Sat...S Winds 15 To 20 Kt, Diminishing To 10 To 15 Kt In The Afternoon. Seas 5 To 8 Ft. Showers With Tstms Likely. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

So here's the deal if we get a lot of rain I'm calling the dive, it'll save you a trip to RI for a lousy dive. The runoff will ruin any chance of acceptable visibility. The water in the East Passage north of Hammersmith Farm will be calm enough despite of the south winds however the water coming into the Passage may not be so great vis wise ad rain runoff to that and it's Helen Keller diving. I'll txt you.
EDIT: I just checked the Marine Forecast. Doesn't look good.

The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail:
ANZ235 Forecast Issued: 1016 AM EDT Thu Jul 09 2020

Fri Night...Se Winds 15 To 20 Kt With Gusts Up To 25 Kt. Seas 4 To 7 Ft. Showers With Tstms Likely. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

Sat...S Winds 15 To 20 Kt, Diminishing To 10 To 15 Kt In The Afternoon. Seas 5 To 8 Ft. Showers With Tstms Likely. Some Tstms May Produce Heavy Rainfall. Vsby 1 To 3 Nm.

I had the exact same thought, but NE weather changes on a dime so watch and wait.

Back
Top Bottom