? 4 Curacao Frequent Flyers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not a real estate agent or developer etc.

Have you ever considered buying a house or condo on Curacao?

If so, what stops you?

For me it's a blend of unfavorable financial terms on island, and the size of a single non liquid "investment"

Too many other places to visit in the world....

In terms of land, free and clear title is a challenge from the discussions I have had with residents. The tree of ownership rights is very broad...

we saw some beautiful new areas when we were there. prices "seemed" more reasonable than many places. although i must say i think over all the world has lost its mind when it comes to real estate. this nonsense of saying "well if i bought this place in london, miami, ny. or toronto, it would cost me X" drives me nuts. idiots over the years that have over paid for these homes have driven the costs so high that most will never be able to own a home let alone a vacation /retirement home. end of rant.

great shore diving, great weather, no hurricanes, some nice beaches, etc etc make it a consideration for some people.

i am not sure about how good / bad health care is there. that is something to consider.

In terms of land, free and clear title is a challenge from the discussions I have had with residents. The tree of ownership rights is very broad...

How is the rental market? As we somewhat approach retirement years, 5-10 years, we would really like to live somewhere with year-round warm water and great diving. Shore diving is highly preferred. We used to think we would find a place to buy but have since concluded that renting will be better.

There seems to be many opportunities at various price points for rental.

I bought a timeshare on Grand Cayman in 1996 for a song. We used it from 1997-2004 and easily got our money out of it. As you know, Ivan hit Cayman in 2004. Turns out the timeshare was grossly underinsured, the provisions of the time share were not met and the Cayman/British government ended up siding with the owner. We settled for the insurance payment. This was my experience in dealing with a civilized government on a Caribbean Island.

I own a townhouse just north of Boynton Beach, FL. I understand all of the rules and regulations of owning in the US. I've enjoyed this 2nd residence for more than eight years now and travel for my more exotic experiences. At least, I did until Covid-19

My wife and I were truly considering retirement on Curacao. We looked all around the island and found a place we would like to purchase and build on and were preparing to slow roll our way into it.Having had many long talks with ex pats and then the pandemic hitting changed our minds.As much as I love the island,once it opens to us again we will remain just regular visitors.

My wife and I were truly considering retirement on Curacao. We looked all around the island and found a place we would like to purchase and build on and were preparing to slow roll our way into it.Having had many long talks with ex pats and then the pandemic hitting changed our minds.As much as I love the island,once it opens to us again we will remain just regular visitors.

Is it because of how Curacao handled the pandemic, the threat of pandemics in general, or something else?

Well from my stand point, if you were relying on a little rental income to offset the expense when you are not on island, something like the pandemic could make ownership very burdensome, that would go for any vacation property, in any location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom