Boat diving.Do we have it all wrong?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By that logic, then adaptive diving should not be a thing.

The implied (but unstated) context to my post was a traditional non-limited recreational or technical diver. Adaptive diving was not the context I was discussing. Adaptive diving is an entirely different beast requiring training and planning for special equipment, procedures, etc. In my mind adaptive diving is a completely different class or type of diving. It's not recreational nor technical but adapted diving.

Following on from KenGordon's earlier post.

I am a member of a BSAC branch. A large part of our branch membership have or where originally trained by PADI. (My own original qualification was PADI OW, much later I also did the PADI DM.)

Whilst it is perfectly acceptable to be a branch member and dive on their PADI qualification. Most (all) have BSAC qualifications, because it is effectively free (other than the course pack), to take the next appropriate BSAC qualifications because the branch instructors teach for free.
A reasonable number of these PADI members, view their diving as PURE recreational diving, no technical diving. On branch 'recreational' trips, they will probably do dives over the weekend that require compulsory staged decompression. They view the dive as a recreational dive, it may be 5 minutes or 15, much beyond that people will start to view it as a bit more serious.

Scapa flow is seen as a normal branch destination. Most branches would put the experience requirement as Sports Diver, although this precludes you from some of the deeper sites. You can dive the sites as No-Stop dives, very few ever would. Generally Scapa is a two sites a day destination, Capital Ship in the morning, Block Ship in the afternoon. The two dive a day approach, keeps DCI risk low. To be honest, two dives a day is normally enough for anyone, when you take into account the environment (above and below the water) and the 'work' involved.

Rough seas, handing a bottle up, it slipping and smashes into my face. Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun.

Rough seas, handing a bottle up, it slipping and smashes into my face. Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun.

Errrr - Why would you hand a bottle up, that's what the line is for, so you can clip it off?

The nearest, is RHIB / Inflatable, diving where the coxswain pulls it back on board, normally before you are out of the water. Procedure, weight belt, SCUBA set, Diver.

The implied (but unstated) context to my post was a traditional non-limited recreational or technical diver. Adaptive diving was not the context I was discussing. Adaptive diving is an entirely different beast requiring training and planning for special equipment, procedures, etc. In my mind adaptive diving is a completely different class or type of diving. It's not recreational nor technical but adapted diving.
Adaptive is interesting in the broader discussion.

I'm missing a leg, can I/team/boat/crew handle that?
I'm missing two legs, ....
I can't lift more than 20 lb., ....
I can't lift more than 80 lb., ....

But I'm a meticulous planner and in the water I'm a fish, aware of all around me and have the most rock solid nerves, decisions and actions in a crisis.

In my examples, 20 lb. is targeted at jumping in with a single, 80 lb. with a twin set.

Now, maybe the team/boat does not have a crane/lift/etc to handle me in just normal conditions or in an emergency.

Or, maybe I am not a super capable fish underwater and it is risky for me to be there beyond X in the judgement of the team/instructor/boat.

Adaptive is interesting in the broader discussion.

I'm missing a leg, can I/team/boat/crew handle that?
I'm missing two legs, ....
I can't lift more than 20 lb., ....
I can't lift more than 100 lb., ....

But I'm a meticulous planner and in the water I'm a fish, aware of all around me and have the most rock solid nerves, decisions and actions in a crisis.

With 20 lb. in my examples targeted at jumping in with a single, 100 lb. with a twin set.

Now, maybe a boat does not have a crane/lift/etc to handle me in just normal conditions or in emergency.

Or, maybe I am not a super capable fish underwater and it is risky for me to be there beyond X in the judgement of the boat/instructor/team.

One of my first dive buddies (i.e. not an instructor) was an ex Navy Clearance Diver. He was a paraplegic, excellent diver. Wicked sense of humour.
Alway's wore fins - so that he looked normal in the water.
He had no problems getting into the water, he used to tie the axel of his wheel chair to a measured line then wheel himself at high speed to the entry, and catapult himself into the water. His issue was getting out again.
It was before we had lifts, so he used to restrict himself to local quarries where he could lift himself out and back into the wheel chair.

Really grateful to him, I learnt a lot, diving with him, he gave me loads of opportunities to go diving.

One of my first dive buddies (i.e. not an instructor) was an ex Navy Clearance Diver. He was a paraplegic, excellent diver. Wicked sense of humour.
Alway's wore fins - so that he looked normal in the water.
He had no problems getting into the water, he used to tie the axel of his wheel chair to a measured line then wheel himself at high speed to the entry, and catapult himself into the water. His issue was getting out again.
It was before we had lifts, so he used to restrict himself to local quarries where he could lift himself out and back into the wheel chair.

Really grateful to him, I learnt a lot, diving with him, he gave me loads of opportunities to go diving.

Sounds like an awesome diver and they did it themself.

I think adaptive, broadly applied, also includes a team helping each other get in/out of the water at many levels. "Can I help with that stage/twinset/single/strap." Yet there may be limits when the team or boat say this is no longer wise or we do not have the support to handle it safely; it is risking the diver and others.

Although not involved in anyway myself.

I am impressed by the growth in diver training for the less able bodies. Especially those aimed at injured veterans.
That takes skill, patience and the ability to be extremely flexible in your approach as an instructor.

(Sorry for the thread drift)

Although not involved in anyway myself.

I am impressed by the growth in diver training for the less able bodies. Especially those aimed at injured veterans.
That takes skill, patience and the ability to be extremely flexible in your approach as an instructor.

(Sorry for the thread drift)
Don’t be sorry, it’s a good thread drift.

What about scooters?

But there is an easy fix to that (1) un-clip bottle; (2) hand to teammate/crew; (3) shift left or right prior to teammate/crew lifting bottle; (4) safely climb latter.

Or, if it is so rough that's not feasible, then just have the crew do a quick drop line, clip off to that, climb up then pull the bottle up (of course this option morphs into the whole "not shutting engines down during pickup" rabbit hole :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom