Tricks for separating OPV from bladder flange assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there's any corrosion or foreign debris in the threads, I just think the Hulk tightened it.

Or someone put thread lock on the threads ... Try immersing just the OPV in very hot water for a couple of minutes then use a cloth to hold it and unscrew

i would agree but sometimes , you need it fixed now and cant wait regardless of price

If you don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, you can use a microwave. Make sure the part is completely submerged in water (with soap, vinegar, etc) though. Amazingly, you can even do this with metal parts! Try it out in a buddies microwave, if you are hesitant :)

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...

I'm trying to replace a broken bladder flange assembly but one side of the old assembly is stuck in the OPV. The OPV was screwed on the the assembly too tightly and it's just stuck. The problem is that it's difficult or impossible to get a good grip on the assembly side in order to remove it. I had the same problem with the elbow being too tightly screwed onto the assembly and completely destroyed the assembly trying to get it off with vice grips and STILL couldn't get it out! I might just have to replace everything but it's such a waste. Anyway, any advice or tricks to separate these pieces would be greatly appreciated.

The hook on this tool is designed to remove the cage assembly.
www.divegearexpress.com/bladder-flange-tool If that doesn't do it, and if I'm seeing correctly, you only need the cage assembly. DGX BC Overpressure Relief and Dump Valve | Dive Gear Express® It's only $5, but I would get the part in hand before proceeding. Once you have the new part, cut the outer cage off with a piece of hacksaw blade. Once you've cut a slot in the cage, it should just pull right off.

While you're ordering, I would suggest also ordering a spare flange assembly and tool set too. Install the parts hand tight-not with a wrench.
DGX Bladder Flange Assembly | Dive Gear Express®

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom