DIR- GUE GUE fundamentals, tec pass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor told me he doesn't care if I use doubles or not so I think its just a matter of trim / task loading issues. Since my current recreational setup is sidemount and I decided to go the GUE track exclusively for tech training, I'm reaching the conclusion it would be counterproductive to take the fundamentals class with a single tank.

I'm scheduled for the class in Ilhabela, São Paulo / Brazil.

I would probably do the same. In the end, I guess there is no problem in trying the doubles, and in case you feel uncomfortable to go back to a single tank for the rest of the course.

I'm not really in a hurry to progress to the next course but I want to push hard for improvements in technique and knowledge.

I have no idea what you mean with "push hard for improvements", just do not get obsessed with it. All the people I know got a tec-pass only after switching from the mindset "push hard" to the mindset "let's have a lot of fun and an appropriate dose of training, improvements will arrive with time"... again, I don't know many divers, I might be wrong

I'm not really in a hurry to progress to the next course but I want to push hard for improvements in technique and knowledge. To be honest I think I'll have problems with the swim test since I've been out of a track pool for about 20 years, I'm out of shape and my cardio got hit by not being able to work out due to lockdown. So my idea so far is to push for a tech pass but be happy with whatever I get in the end.

In terms of preparation I tried to practice trim and propulsion techniques on a dive I did yesterday, and I'll try to read the materials / watch GUE videos in advance.

Honestly I would not worry about the swim test, you would have to be in terrible shape not to make it.
I was also mostly worried about the swim test before my course, I was also pretty out of shape but still made it with 5 mins to spare.
I wouldn't worry if I was you, it was a breeze :)

If you're going to do the course in doubles, make sure you got the valve drill down, and especially make sure that you can reach and manipulate your valves with relative ease.
I know divers who have been denied certs from fundies and similar ITT courses because they couldn't even reach their valves.

All the people I know got a tec-pass only after switching from the mindset "push hard" to the mindset "let's have a lot of fun and an appropriate dose of training, improvements will arrive with time"... again, I don't know many divers, I might be wrong
Yep, know what you mean. By relaxing and enjoying you're skills are improving much more than by practicing frantically.

1. Fundamentals is not like Open Water training. It's a bootcamp for GUE technical diving, which involves performing at a higher standard of knowledge, judgment, and skill. It can feel like a firehose, even for experienced divers with tech training from other agencies.
  2. All of your time will be used productively - sometimes as much as 17-18 hours per day, depending on how much time you need to spend on gear set-up and breakdown. There will be significant amounts of theory and planning homework in the evening after dinner.
  3. Although you already have a lot of the base skills needed (and will be refining them), the procedures may be very different from what you are taught. You'll need to pay close attention during land practice, in-water rehearsal, and skill drills in order to learn the new procedures effectively.
  4. You may have needed to make changes to your gear configuration for the class, which you will be adjusting to while you are working on #1-3.
  5. GUE is a team-based diving philosophy, which requires more attention and skill in communicating and coordinating with one another.... while you are working on #1-5. Your team skills are as important as your individual skills.
  6. Although passing is not the point (improving your skills with structured coaching is!), many people experience some level of performance anxiety with an instructor and with being filmed.
  7. You will be filmed, you will watch it with the instructor, and you will have very detailed conversations about it. You'll also need to let go of any fears about embarrassing yourself in front of the instructors.
  8. While all of this is going on, you're going to be continuously reviewing what you've learned, evaluating your understanding, kicking yourself for mistakes, re-thinking all of your past dives in a new frame of mind, and keeping up with everything else going on around you at the same time.
I don't want you to think it's not a rewarding class -- because it is! -- but I don't want anybody reading this to think that it's an easy class -- because it's not!

They are long, challenging days for sure, but it was so much fun! Several of us from my course became good friends and continue to dive and travel together 6 years later. It was an incredibly valuable course and experience.

You give a lot of good advice to the OP. May I add, be open-minded and receptive to feedback; video doesn't lie; be patient with yourself; and keep an eye on your teammates and your computer/gauge all the time. And have fun!

Good news, I received a rec pass. I completed the swim test in the ocean in 13:30 while being out of shape and with no training. I almost died, sure, but did it. Hahaha

Next step is to train a little more to get the upgrade to tec pass.

Thank you all for the advice.

Good news, I received a rec pass. I completed the swim test in the ocean in 13:30 while being out of shape and with no training. I almost died, sure, but did it. Hahaha

Next step is to train a little more to get the upgrade to tec pass.

Thank you all for the advice.

Congratulations! Just out of pure curiosity, how did you find the course given your previous disappointing experiences with other diving courses?

The instructor is deciding whether you are ready for the next course. If they make the wrong call, then it will just cause problems for you, them, AND the subsequent instructor, that needed to be perfected prior to beginning the next course.

It's a better and more traditional approach to training than you find in the other modern higher-volume / lower-bar business agencies. There you can get students in your advanced and deep/tech courses who were flown right through their basic/open water/advanced course and then forgot more than half of it the next day.

The instructor is deciding whether you are ready for the next course. If they make the wrong call, then it will just cause problems for you, them, AND the subsequent instructor, that needed to be perfected prior to beginning the next course.

It's a better and more traditional approach to training than you find in the other modern higher-volume / lower-bar business agencies. There you can get students in your advanced and deep/tech courses who were flown right through their basic/open water/advanced course and then forgot more than half of it the next day.
After reading all the experiences shared on scubaboard I was ready not to receive a pass at all. I'm quite happy with the rec pass, the experience with doubles and all the in-water improvements. While the tec pass might have to wait I'm considering the rec 3 course as an introduction to tec.

After reading all the experiences shared on scubaboard I was ready not to receive a pass at all. I'm quite happy with the rec pass, the experience with doubles and all the in-water improvements. While the tec pass might have to wait I'm considering the rec 3 course as an introduction to tec.

Calling @PfcAJ

:gas:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom