The Importance of Logging your Dives. The Advantages for new divers (and old)

How do you prefer to log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to keep paper logs starting in 1998 when I got certified. I used up the PADI book they provided then bought several other pre printed books. When I was using tables we’d get out the log book right away to do the math for our pressure group and RBT and all that. Eventually I started using black hard bound artist sketch books which can be purchased in small 5”x7” size and they have blank pages. I call it my little black book.
I like those because my log books became way more than just technical info, they became more like a diary with a lot of hand drawn maps of dive sites and places, GPS coordinates to some secret spots, mile marker numbers on the road, sketches of the scenery that day, names and phone numbers of other divers I ran across, etc.
The nice thing about a physical paper copy of something is they can be pulled off the shelf years later and re-read or your descendants can enjoy your adventure stories and illustrations.
Unfortunately I got out of the log book habit somewhere around 300 dives many years ago.
But reading all this especially @Sam Miller III posts I may start up again.

Why do you think they're a big deal now? Aside from class requirements for some organizations, who really cares? I've been on boats all over the world and never once been asked for one.

My wife and I had to show our logbook to the dive operation at Couples Resort in Jamaica to be able to dive without being required to take a refresher course. They wanted to see the last time we were out diving.

I've been on boats all over the world and never once been asked for one.

But damn, I wish they'd ask.
I'm ready to wow them with my breadth of experience, extensive world travel, bizarre sealife encounters, foolish penetrations, epic post-dive intoxications, mysterious liaisons with exotic women(?), and vulgar nicknames for my so-called dive buddies.

'

I'd be arrested for sure if I went into that much detail. And most nicknames are NSFW.

But damn, I wish they'd ask.
I'm ready to wow them with my breadth of experience, extensive world travel, bizarre sealife encounters, foolish penetrations, epic post-dive intoxications, mysterious liaisons with exotic women(?), and vulgar nicknames for my so-called dive buddies.

'

Man! Your logbook definitely has some extra fields to fill in compared to mine! Those pages must be in the NSFW section of LogBooks.com...

LOL

I'v seen dive logs demanded when students sign up for different classes at my local shops. I log my dives to be eligible to continue on tu certain level or to serve as reference if need be.

i stopped keeping logbooks for a 10 year period ...it came back to haunt me , with down loadable computers doesn't make sense not too ...........i still ask students to see logged dive for most courses and still interview them as to see if i want to be their instructor (as they should interview their potential instructor )

My wife and I had to show our logbook to the dive operation at Couples Resort in Jamaica to be able to dive without being required to take a refresher course. They wanted to see the last time we were out diving.

We don't check log books, but sometimes, when I jump in the water with a "I'm certified" diver whom hasn't been underwater in more than a decade, I wished we did...

I'm a meticulous logger and am glad that I am. I actually enjoy logging my dives. It allows me to relax and reflect on the dives. Having my dives recorded has been helpful time and time again. What were the temps? What was the vis? What reef or wreck did I dive? What charter did I use? What exposure protection did I wear? How deep was that wreck? Etc, etc, etc.

I keep a waterproof paper log book, an Excel spreadsheet I've customized for my needs (including RMV calculation) and I also download my dives to Shearwater Cloud App from my dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom