The Importance of Logging your Dives. The Advantages for new divers (and old)

How do you prefer to log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still use paper logs. I enjoy logging my dives over lunch or a post-dive beverage, while my husband/buddy deals with the pictures. He cribs off my logs later (using his own computer stats but my site and critter observations)

I still log my dives in a log book. I designed my own log sheets to because I didn't like any of the pre-made ones. I will pull my dives off my computer every couple months.

I'm with you on that one. I really thought the digital log book would have taken over. Could it be because none of the digital apps make data entry easy?
I used standard commercial logbooks and then got excited about using a digital one with my Suunto Cobra. I bought a serial port connection (about $125, IIRC) to make it happen. I have no idea now where any of that is now or how I could access the technology to see it. Fortunately, I had a written backup.

I now use a paper log both because it is a standard format that will not be outdated by new technology and because it is much easier than digital if you, like me, are only interested in the minimal information about the dive. As an instructor, I frequently have to do minor setup stuff requiring me to go underwater for a few minutes before the real dive. If I do that a couple of times before the dive, my computer thinks I have done 3 dives. It is a PITA to go into the digital log and correct all of that. When I am ready to log the dives (I usually wait until I have a number to do), I scroll through one of the computers to the log section and jot down the only things I am usually interested in--depths and times. Then I open up my paper logbook and put down whatever information I want. I will frequently combine the training dive segments into one dive, which only requires the ability to total the times. It is much faster than uploading from the computer to a digital log and then correcting everything.

I use a custom-designed paper log book page that I will reproduce for you below this paragraph, after which I will explain its benefits. Feel free to use the design--I hold no copyright for it.

Explanation: As you can see, the design is simple and uncluttered. If the dive has nothing of particular interest to me, I will have almost nothing more than the dive #, the date, the location, the depth, the time, and the added total bottom time. Maybe a one-sentence description. If there was something of greater interest, I will write more. I will sometimes have 3 entries on a page. I will sometimes write 3 pages on a single dive.

I used standard commercial logbooks and then got excited about using a digital one with my Suunto Cobra. I bought a serial port connection (about $125, IIRC) to make it happen. I have no idea now where any of that is now or how I could access the technology to see it. Fortunately, I had a written backup.

I now use a paper log both because it is a standard format that will not be outdated by new technology and because it is much easier than digital if you, like me, are only interested in the minimal information about the dive. As an instructor, I frequently have to do minor setup stuff requiring me to go underwater for a few minutes before the real dive. If I do that a couple of times before the dive, my computer thinks I have done 3 dives. It is a PITA to go into the digital log and correct all of that. When I am ready to log the dives (I usually wait until I have a number to do), I scroll through one of the computers to the log section and jot down the only things I am usually interested in--depths and times. Then I open up my paper logbook and put down whatever information I want. I will frequently combine the training dive segments into one dive, which only requires the ability to total the times. It is much faster than uploading from the computer to a digital log and then correcting everything.

I use a custom-designed paper log book page that I will reproduce for you below this paragraph, after which I will explain its benefits. Feel free to use the design--I hold no copyright for it.

Explanation: As you can see, the design is simple and uncluttered. If the dive has nothing of particular interest to me, I will have almost nothing more than the dive #, the date, the location, the depth, the time, and the added total bottom time. Maybe a one-sentence description. If there was something of greater interest, I will write more. I will sometimes have 3 entries on a page. I will sometimes write 3 pages on a single dive.
Where is your attachment?

It’s interesting, I started diving in the late 70s. Never paid a whole lot of attention to my logbooks, I tried to keep them up as best I could. But it was mostly just as my own personal diary. Never had anyone actually sign it. I would usually just write number, location, a few details, and the names of my buddies. My last dive prior to this year was 2008. Fortunately I found my previous two logbook Volumes, because I’ve lost my earlier ones. I never would’ve expected logbooks to be such a big deal as they are now. I suppose that’s due to a litigious society and everybody wanting to cover their butts.

I never would’ve expected logbooks to be such a big deal as they are now. I suppose that’s due to a litigious society and everybody wanting to cover their butts.
Why do you think they're a big deal now? Aside from class requirements for some organizations, who really cares? I've been on boats all over the world and never once been asked for one.

Why do you think they're a big deal now? Aside from class requirements for some organizations, who really cares? I've been on boats all over the world and never once been asked for one.
Come to think of it, the only times I can recall seeing them was when I took OW course (2005) and later assisted on them. Probably saw a few over the years that I can't recall.

Same. I've never once had to show my logs.

There is usually a form that has to be signed that asks how many dives and date of the last dive but no-one has ever checked that what I said was accurate.

Where is your attachment?
What attachment?

I said I would put it after the paragraph. I did. There it is. Nothing. I use blank pages of paper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom