how to neatly fold up a backplate webbing for travel/storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Backplates are really nice for travel, because it's just a thin piece of metal, but I don't really have a consistent way of folding up the webbing in a reasonable manner, and the straps always seem to be all over the place, taking up more volume than seems necessary! Does anyone have a "standard" way in which they fold up, maneuver their webbing so that it takes up less space and packs more nicely? Pictures might be worth 1000 words in this case...

Pull the shoulder drings all the way up and then fold down the balance of the straps back down. For the waist and crotch strap do similar. Takes up very little extra space.

I don't actually fold them neatly. I put it somewhere in the top of the case with the webbing down... Almost toss it in. I always have room to spare and will hit the weight limit before the case is full.
I'm not so sure about moving my d rings. They make my system what it is, where equipment is located. Since I'm used them being at certain locations I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to get them back at the right location but why don't you just fold them without repositioning the d rings? Where's the benefit in there? Do you move the sliders at the back too that adjust the shoulder straps?

I don't actually fold them neatly. I put it somewhere in the top of the case with the webbing down... Almost toss it in. I always have room to spare and will hit the weight limit before the case is full.
I'm not so sure about moving my d rings. They make my system what it is, where equipment is located. Since I'm used them being at certain locations I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to get them back at the right location but why don't you just fold them without repositioning the d rings? Where's the benefit in there? Do you move the sliders at the back too that adjust the shoulder straps?

I don't think he meant to physically move the D rings on the webbing. Rather, pull shoulder straps up by the D ring. At least, that is how it came across to me.

DW

My webbing is quite soft hence packing it together with the plate is no brainer.

Tank bands are different though. They are much stiffer and much bulkier than webbing and they are protruding outwards. That's because they have velcros, anti-slip rubber, the buckles etc and they are made to form a loop.

Hence I usually remove them from the plate, roll them and store them separately.

It is advisable to remind yourself how to wave/reassemble them and practice it a bit at home before the travel. Believe me it is quite embarrassing to discover the numerous (wrong) ways these things can be assembled while everybody else is ready and waiting for you to dive. Don't ask me how I know.

Happy traveling.

Unless you have some type of bulky padding/"comfort harness" type of set-up I can't see flat nylon straps taking up much room, folded or not. They certainly take up less space than the bend in the plate.

First of all, a disclaimer... I'm a minimalist, and I go to extremes to minimize my dive kit for travel.
Much of what I've said in these forums in the past has come in for well-meaning criticism, and that's ok.
My reasoning behind my choices is to minimize weight and maximize compactness, but still have a fully-functional, self-contained, and safe set of travel gear.
I'm always experimenting with ways to achieve this.

I have a specific backplate for travel. The webbing is as straight forward and simple as possible.
No padding or unneeded pouches or hardware.

I buy rolls of double-sided velcro from a hardware store and cut it into strips of various lengths.
Use this to cinch-up up all the webbing so the backplate and webbing is a tight compact unit.
I use the cam bands as compression straps on wetsuits and clothing bags.

Don't take what you really don't need.
This includes tools and redundant gizzmos.
Everything must get wet.
If you're on a liveaboard or at a resort, there's always someone who's brought an over-the-top save-a-dive kit and tool box.
Praise them for their foresightedness, and they'll be happy to give you anything you want.
Be sure to buy them a drink later too.

Because I dive recreational when traveling, and don't plan to sling extra cylinders or carry heavy accessories,
I've switched most of my sliders and D-rings to plastic.
This is mostly for weight saving.
Certain heresy in some circles.

Sorry for the partially off-topic long answer, but this is my obsession.

K.

If traveling with the bp/w in a bag:
* I remove the cam bands and fold them
* Remove the wing and fold/roll it
* Pull the crotch strap up flat on the front of the BP (in the channel)
* Flatten and cross the shoulder straps
* Wrap the waist belt around the back and then to the front, fastening it in front so as to take out the slack

I also have a backpack I made that attaches to the BP in place of the wing. There are two compartments inside for a folded wing, cambands, regs, mask, thin wetsuit, etc. and I can lash fins over the whole thing. Useful for situations where you have to walk a long way with all your gear. The shoulder and waist belt make the whole thing pretty comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom