What's the sign for "that's cool - thanks"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides the shaka and double shaka, I also use the "mind blown" signal :D

200.gif

No one's addressed the "thanks" part of the question. How do we say, "thank you" underwater?

Shaka, and if close enough, make the "ooooh" sound! I remember someone making that sound underwater and thinking "oh, they get how cool this thing is!". (You could make the sounds of "thank you" too.). When I get back to the boat I seek out the person who pointed out cool stuff to thank them - I really appreciate them taking the time on their dive. :)

No one's addressed the "thanks" part of the question. How do we say, "thank you" underwater?

You can do the American Sign Language "thank you". Basically, palm facing your face, put the tips of your fingers to your regulator and then motion out and down.

That's included in the Shaka sign. Yep, I hate seeing "OK" all the time because you HAVE to respond back. Shaka needs no response and it makes you look cool.

As many others have mentioned the shaka is what I've always used for this. Seems to be a pretty universal use of the gesture.

Besides the shaka and double shaka, I also use the "mind blown" signal :D

200.gif

I like it!! I'll have to add that. Although given that the majority of my dives are solo, I don't often gesture to myself. LOL

I generally use the OK sign. If whatever it is was really cool, it may be an "emphatic" OK sign.

Only problem that I see with the shaka sign, is that many of the tropical dives I have been on, the shaka sign gets used for turtle sightings. Although that usually involves a shaka sign followed by pointing in the general direction of the turtle.

Whatever sign is used, make sure it fits with any "local vernacular," which should be part of a dive briefing.

I don't often gesture to myself. LOL
I do all the time. It's only worrisome when I start to signal me back. :D

For “COOL” we draw a smile—sort of a U-shape—with a finger. We sometimes add the sign @chris kippax noted for “EFFING COOL.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom