Any advice for choosing a light ? More details inside the post !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hcklo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys !

Me and my gf we are going into our "road to the diving industry" IDC etc. Its her bday soon and I would love to buy her some accessories.
I'm thinking about a light torch.

I personally got a bigblue 1200 and I am quite happy with even if It already happen to me to have some faults on it (in example the light switch on/off/on/off wich is really annoying)

We also start making some videos so a light cordless with a ball mount possibility would be awesome. No canister, cordless.

I was thinking about a big blue black molly IV 1800 but actually just because know only this brand.

My budget is 200-250 usd and I am looking for something:

-good to guide/teach, durability
-not so bad to take videos (got an inon s2000 for the pictures)

Thank you for your time and any advice that could help me to make her happy !!!!

Edit: sea diving, sometimes easy wrecks and open easy caves, nothing too hard neither long in time.

I'm not one of the resident experts, but since no one has weighed in yet, I'll throw out a few observations.
I don;t know your experience and certification levels, but the comment about, "easy wrecks and open easy caves" caught my attention. Wrecks and caves are environments that can get dangerous/deadly, pretty quickly, so a lot of caution (if not outright avoidance) should be considered, unless you've had training there.
Big Blue seems to have it's fans, but I seem to recall reading (here) a fair bit of negativity concerning the company, so I'd do some more research before pursuing them further. There are quite a few solid lights and companies out there, so don't limit your options based on a relatively limited previous experience.
As I understand, video-shooting requires a different type of light than your typical dive light, so I'd research from that angle before jumping in. A video-oriented light probably isn't ideal for looking under ledges on a day-time ocean dive, or peering down a long cave tunnel or wreck passage, and a standard dive light probably won't suffice for video lighting.
Many lights come with a rechargeable batteries and charger, but these included batteries are often lower quality, especially on budget, no-name or house-brand lights. As I've read, you'll get considerably more power and runtime by upgrading to top-quality, name-brand batteries (Panasonic, etc.), and will also benefit by upgrading to a quality smart-charger. (there are a few good discussions here on this, with recommendations for dealers). So factor in that possible expense.
With a lot of things, I personally often prefer multiple "good" items, over a single "great" item (and $200-250 doesn't usually get you into the "great" realm,anyway). So, in cases where a dive light is needed, very often multiple lights are required (or at least a real good idea), so it might be better to get her a couple (or three) decent lights, rather than maxing out your budget on just one light.
The DGX600 is highly popular, and very well spoken of here, going back a few years, and is a reasonable $60, delivered (with a respectably functional rechargeable battery and charger). You could do worse than giving her a couple of these units, plus one for yourself, and have money left over!!!!.
DGX 600 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express®
A little more upscale is this nice little Dive Rite BX2, at $99 (delivered). I think she'd be quite impressed opening a box with one or two of these babies in it !
Dive Rite BX2 Handheld Light Kit | Dive Gear Express®
Anyway, there's my 2-cents, worth every bit of what you paid for it ! :eyebrow:

Check out the lights from Light & Motion. The Sola and GoBe series are very versatile and can be used as handheld or video lights. You can get a Sola 1200 right now for around $210 or you can wait for a better sale, I picked one up earlier this year for $158 on sale at B&H Photo. Leisure Pro, B&H Photo and Backscatter all have periodic sales on lights where you can get a great deal. All of the Light & Motion lights can have ball mounts added to use as video lights.

My wife and I have tried a few different lights. We bought DRIS 1000 lumen dive light when it was on sale. It is kind of big and can only use C batteries. I won a Sea Life Sea Dragon Mini 1300s light at our LDS underwater pumpkin diving raffle. It was a nice light that used 18650 batteries. I liked it more than the DRIS light and the ANO light we had previously bought. I picked up another sea dragon for my wife before our trip to jamaica. Unfortunately, I lost my light after it slid out of my hand strap :(.

Hey guys !

Me and my gf we are going into our "road to the diving industry" IDC etc. Its her bday soon and I would love to buy her some accessories.
I'm thinking about a light torch.

I personally got a bigblue 1200 and I am quite happy with even if It already happen to me to have some faults on it (in example the light switch on/off/on/off wich is really annoying)

We also start making some videos so a light cordless with a ball mount possibility would be awesome. No canister, cordless.

I was thinking about a big blue black molly IV 1800 but actually just because know only this brand.

My budget is 200-250 usd and I am looking for something:

-good to guide/teach, durability
-not so bad to take videos (got an inon s2000 for the pictures)

Thank you for your time and any advice that could help me to make her happy !!!!

Edit: sea diving, sometimes easy wrecks and open easy caves, nothing too hard neither long in time.
Hello. Here is an excerpt from one of my post. It may be helpful? It may not be?

The technology within dive lights has changed tremendously over the years. I bought a Big Blue "Lobster Kit." last year that had (2) 1100 Lumen lights, with a neoprene "Beanie." with light holders on each side. *Note: These are no longer available.
They just weren't quite enough for me. I then bought a Big Blue TL3500P narrow beam. Wow. What, a nice light. I liked it so much, I bought another. I believe, their 5600K. They're actually not that big, and fit in your hand nicely. I got a good deal on (2) Big Blue VL5800P's 120 degree video lights and mounted them to a skateboard helmet.
  • full.jpg
Helmet "Critical." by Boston Breakwater posted May 6, 2020 at 8:16 PM
Between, the helmet, and the handheld they go together quite well. When, I'm away from ambient light......The (3) lights used together make it look like "Daylight." in pitch black water.
Problem is I don't know which one is my primary, and/or backup. LOL.
it's definitely going to be a matter of,
your preference. If, you can rent lights, try that.
Big Blue has a fantastic website.
Light Monkey has a great reputation, as well. (A little more than I'm willing to spend.)
Cheers,

Check out the lights from Light & Motion. The Sola and GoBe series are very versatile and can be used as handheld or video lights. You can get a Sola 1200 right now for around $210 or you can wait for a better sale, I picked one up earlier this year for $158 on sale at B&H Photo. Leisure Pro, B&H Photo and Backscatter all have periodic sales on lights where you can get a great deal. All of the Light & Motion lights can have ball mounts added to use as video lights.

I will very much plus one the Sola. I take mine on pretty much every dive, and have very few complaints. I usually get a solid day of diving out of mine, so while the battery is not replaceable, I've never felt limited by the battery life. I've not used it as a video light, but the flood light option provides a very wide angle and even light, so I can't imagine it wouldn't suffice as a video light.

I've been using the Fix Neo Series for a couple years now, they have been extremely reliable and I like the features. The ability to change beams and step through light intensity settings has been a welcome feature. I'm not sure if their in your budget or meet your purpose but I would definitely recommend them for reliability and function.

Was diving for bugs of the coast of Mass for most of the early 80's, I really miss diving there..........

I just got a Sola 1200 and like it. The back of hand mount essentially gives you another hand and wide angle setting ok for u/w videos. So far after 5 dives I still love it and man have I owned a lot of dive lights over the years. Uniquely, it charges without ‘opening’ the light which always proves a weak point.

I am looking at a new dive light for recreational diving only, small and bright enough to do the job and won't break the bank.
I have a basic but dated light for a back up, looking at lights I realised I have champagne taste and beer money.

Back
Top Bottom