New Aqua Lung computer - Now with moar Buhlmann ZHL-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I like about Buhlmann ZH-L16C is its flexibility and the fact that my Perdix and backup Garmin Descent's readings match exactly throughout a dive. I also like the capability of displaying the tissues bar graph available on both.

I also like the capability of displaying the tissues bar graph available on both.
I don't think that is a Buhlmann attribute, but rather something the software/mfg chooses to do. It could be done with any tissue/compartment model.

You could be correct, I've just never seen it outside of a B-16 based product.

I also like the capability of displaying the tissues bar graph available on both.

I've just never seen it outside of a B-16 based product.

This feature has been available since the 80's with the Orca's Edge computer, nothing new about it.

The way they use the Buhlmann algorithm as the basis for their dive computer algorithm is exactly like any other dive computer manufacturer on this planet does with adding their own magical touch to the base algorithm that they don't tell you about exactly. ALL of dive computer manufacturers add their own fudge factor to the base Buhlmann algorithm and SP is no different. There is no mystery or issues with it at all just like Oceanic, AL, Ratio, etc. do to their algorithms. You don't know more about other manufacturers dive computers' algorithms than what you know about SP's algorithm.

No. The core parameters of Buhlmann algorithm are tissue compartments with their half-times and M-values. Shearwater, Ratio, and OSTC tell you what theirs are.

No. The core parameters of Buhlmann algorithm are tissue compartments with their half-times and M-values. Shearwater, Ratio, and OSTC tell you what theirs are.

Nope, none tell you except for, perhaps, OSTC. EACH company adds some of its confidential magic to the pure Buhlmann work. No two Dive Computer companies algorithms are exactly the same, very close maybe but not exactly the same.

Hi @BurhanMuntasser

I'm with @dmaziuk fancy that :).

I think that the computers running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors are, for all intent and purposes, the same. Personally, I know my Dive Rite Nitek Q and my Shearwater Teric run identically, as close as my Oceanic VT3 and Geo2 run DSAT. Ratio computers run Buhlmann ZH-L16B, I would expect them to be a little different. This is easy to see with MultiDeco, that runs both.

You are certainly right when it comes to PZ+ or DeepBlu. These are proprietary versions/variants of Buhlmann, with unknown alterations. They do not run GFs. Scubapro's Buhlmann ZHL-8 or 16C ADT MB is also proprietary, with unknown alterations. Even without the human factors, it is relatively conservative. It does not run GFs either. There are other computers that I'm not sure about, that do not use GFs, but named presets.

Nope, none tell you except for, perhaps, OSTC. EACH company adds some of its confidential magic to the pure Buhlmann work. No two Dive Computer companies algorithms are exactly the same, very close maybe but not exactly the same.

On my planet ZH-L16 comes with the choice of fastest compartment: 4 or 5 minutes. That is the only choice in the "pure Buhlmann work" left to the implementation for an air/nitrox computer. Computers that add their own proprietary confidential magic to the "pure Buhlmann work" are not running Buhlmann.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom