Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

207diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently have a Manta reel with apox. 150’ of line that I use to navigate back to the anchor when boat diving locally. I am finding that I need something that holds more line. Any suggestions? I like the mantra reel a lot and find it is well built but I often have tangles when the line jumps off the spool. I’m sure this is a skills problem but are there any reels out there less prone to this.

I like my Light Monkey reel (and three torches)!

I have a 350 or 400 ft? Manta reel and a 250 ft Manta reel. I really like their design and haven't had any problems with tangles. Do you have the tension set tight enough so the line doesn't unravel on it's own? Do you keep a finger on the line so it winds back up evenly?

I currently have a Manta reel with apox. 150’ of line that I use to navigate back to the anchor when boat diving locally. I am finding that I need something that holds more line. Any suggestions? I like the mantra reel a lot and find it is well built but I often have tangles when the line jumps off the spool. I’m sure this is a skills problem but are there any reels out there less prone to this.
Is that a Manta Jr reel? I use one with considerably more DGX dacron line on it that I use for my dive flag in SE Florida. It generally works extremely well, but I have had tangling loops on several occasions when the current is slack and there is no tension on the line. Sometimes I can fix this in the water if I discover it right away. On other occasions I end up with a tangle that prevents any more line from being deployed. I have even attached my DSMB spool to the Manta in order to get to my desired depth. I often take precautions when descending or swimming with little to no current by holding onto the line with my opposite hand. I have little experience with other reels. I use my Dive Rite jump reel sometimes, but am very careful with it when it is not locked.

Sometimes I can fix the tangle at home if I take off the bolt snap. If the tangle doesn't involve much line, I will simply cut it off. Sometimes I just bag it and put new line on the reel. I buy the DGX dacron line on bulk spools :). I have many hundreds of dives on this system, perhaps a thousand, most without problem.

Dive gear express has the light monkey 200ft reel for $116 and the 400ft for $128. That is a really great deal. Personally I would stick with the nylon line, it is a little stretchier and therefore more forgiving, but everyone seems infatuated with the orange or yellow Dacron stuff these days.

I use "The Reeler" which has at least 300 feet of line on it. It's completely enclosed and has a mechanism to evenly wind the line on the internal spool and maintain proper tension. It's literally impossible for the line to jump off the reel because again, it's completely enclosed. The problem is the company that makes it is out of business and they're really hard to find and if you can find one they ain't cheap.

I also have a Manta reel that I use for pulling a flag or when I drop in and need to descend directly to a wreck to tie off the ball, or to deploy an SMB.

The Manta reel is NOT good for letting out a lot of line to navigate around a wreck- who knows why? This is a quiz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom