Help - I switched to a MacBook Air and forgot about my dive log software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many Windows software runs happily on Macs, using a free tool such as Playonmac.
No need to ditch your favourite programs...

Thanks Angelo. Super new at this! I'll check it out. << fingers crossed >>

I strongly recommend Subsurface for the Mac. It's free as in speech and as in beer, and appears to support your computer. It doesn't have the prettiest interface but it's extremely functional. I strongly prefer it to whatever commercial piece of crap was recommended with my Aqualung computer.

Thanks! I did look into that and it says it supports the SmartCom, however, in the FAQs it states :Subsurface on the Mac does not currently support IRDA based dive computers." so I think I'm out of luck. Additionally, that won't help me adjust the settings on the computer for which it requires a computer interface. :-(

I have been very happy with MacDive logbook software. You can go to their website and see if your computer is compatible with the program. I have had excellent experiences with the software and customer service.

Thanks. The SmartCom isn't supported but my backup computer is. Still, looking to adjust the settings in addition to download dives.

None of the suggestions above are going to result in Magic'ing an IRDA port into his Mac. (IRDA is like an infrared TV remote control) The short answer is there is no way to do this. IRDA is so old and so insecure that even Windows does not really support it anymore. I suggest keeping your out Windows computer around for when you need to talk to your Uwatech.

Thanks Dave. Exactly what I feared. IRDA is so old, the SmartCom computer is so old. I do have a 2nd one. Guess it's time to get used to that one instead. ;-)

**How do I adjust the settings on the computer?**
Ah, I interpreted this as the PC that you were downloading the dives onto, not the Dive Computer. Apologies. Does the SmartTrak software change the settings on your dive computer? I had not heard of that before. I looked briefly in the manuals for the SmartCom and SmartTrak and didn't notice changing anything on the dive computer, but possibly I didn't know what to look for. Subsurface really does list the SmartCom among its supported dive computers, which is why I mentioned it. EDIT: Ah! I see, IrDA is the problem. Sorry again. Yes, that is not a popular transfer technology anymore. Honestly, it was always pretty flaky.

Reactions: eab
Looks like I'm now using my Suunto as my primary dive computer for when I need to show a dive log, coupled with the subsurface dive log software. Couldn't get the Suunto DM5 software to install properly; it never got to the part about asking for access to the documents folder and I don't know how to do it on a Mac. Tried it too many times, uninstalls, reboots, ufff.

I'll see if I can get the SmartTRAK to export into a file format that subsurface can import and be done with it. And I'll confirm my settings via the computer and just let it be. Sometimes decisions are made for you. ;-)

Thanks for the help! I'm really not that much of a dinosaur; I just stick with what works.

.... Couldn't get the Suunto DM5 software to install properly; it never got to the part about asking for access to the documents folder and I don't know how to do it on a Mac. Tried it too many times, uninstalls, reboots, ufff....

I don't know if you are trying with OS Catalina, but this thread has instal advice

DM5 cannot run on MacOS

Subsurface relies on the operating system to support IRDA: MacOS does not have support, Linux stopped a while ago and Windows supports it in some versions. This protocol was used by many devices about 20 years ago but today, thanks to the availability of bluetooth I think dive computers are the last devices on market that still feature it.

Subsurface relies on the operating system to support IRDA: MacOS does not have support, Linux stopped a while ago and Windows supports it in some versions. This protocol was used by many devices about 20 years ago but today, thanks to the availability of bluetooth I think dive computers are the last devices on market that still feature it.
Yeah, it was pretty neat to have for a while. In the early 90s connecting something to your computer still involved a cable, software from the manufacturer, and some obscure manual settings so the computer and the peripheral were transmitting on the same channel. USB got rid of the settings, and for a while infrared was where it was at. IrDA was considered state-of-the-art at the time because it was a standard supported by multiple manufacturers. In the wireless space there was even a watch that you could set from your computer by holding it up to your monitor as it made a seizure-inducing pattern of flashes. But then WiFi and Bluetooth came along and there was no longer any possible reason to use IR anything. The IrDA page is now littered with 5G conspiracy theories. Somehow Scuba manufacturers always manage to be on the far trailing edge of technology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom