• Masks during loading, unloading and when in interior

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Masks during loading and unloading only

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No masks

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In trying to figure out the “new normal“ I’m wondering what people are doing regarding facemasks on dive boats for this season. At present, the phased reopening regulations in NY and NJ require facemasks for passengers and crew at all times, but those regulations seem to have been written more with large fishing charters in mind. It’s clearly not possible to be in 100% compliance with this on a dive boat, but different boats do different things.

I’m just wondering what you people are actually doing. I’ve worked out something that I feel comfortable with, but I won’t post that just yet. Interested in the range of opinions.

I’m also not really interested in arguments about epidemiology and politics, I just want to know what people are actually doing on the boats. Also, this is primarily geared towards passengers, but happy to hear opinions from captains and crew as well...

Thanks!

I'm curious to hear what people are doing. I shore dove last Friday with my two Diving Safety Officers and we wore masks gearing up and down and stayed distant doing that, on the beach and water. We were basically mask on except when scuba hoods on, and geared up an empty parking space away from each other. Not in NY/NJ nor boat, so I did not vote.

Yet after that I thought I had caught something from other parts of the trip, so I'm looking at face shields as well. For more protection in the 'I have a mask on but you do not' moments.

Apparently: Face shields AND face masks now mandatory on Qatar Airways

In trying to figure out the “new normal“ I’m wondering what people are doing regarding facemasks on dive boats for this season.

Hi DRmike,

Cathy and I were diving Key Largo dive sites onboard multiple Rainbow Reef (RR) vessels last week. Monroe County is requiring face masks to be worn by crew and passengers. RR staff diligently shot us, crew included, with IR guns. RR was worried about a "Karen" reporting them and possibly losing the ability to perform dive operations.

We also dived Blue Grotto.

Once we cleared the harbor, the masks slowly came off. We were on a boat with divers who were doing the diving thing (I don't need to explain -- we all get it).

Some of us had snot issues when returning to the boat (me and others). Most all of us ate snacks during the SI and trip back to the dock. A few people repeatedly called for Art and blew chunks.

I think most thought it was a nice gesture to wear our three-day-old petri dishes. I washed mine once a day. I did not see anyone with visible symptoms of any disease. Most were reasonably fit and obviously exercised because everybody rigged their own gear and moved about the boat easily, even with 2-3 foot seas (I saw a couple of waves that were approaching 4 feet -- four feet to a pro mariner, not a landlubber).

I don't know what advice to give you or anyone else. If a person has comorbidities, or has not been vigorously exercising, I would recommend staying at home.

I choose to take the risk. I am at the low end of the IFR scale by health, fitness, and even age. I did and will continue to roll the dice.

We have been on three trips since mid May. We have another scheduled.

Here is my overall regimen:
  1. My head is on a swivel looking for sick people and people coughing.
  2. I try to maintain a physical distance from all people.
  3. I use lots of disinfectant wipes while in public.
  4. I use sanitizer or wipes before touching my face.
  5. Hotel staff do not entire our room while we occupy it -- we perform our own housekeeping duties while we are there.
  6. We exercise more than we ever have (consistently that is).
Sometimes I do a good job and sometimes I do a piss-poor job.

cheers and good luck,
m²V2

Thanks! I know that a lot of this varies with location, both because of different state executive orders and different local diving cultures...

I’ve been out on three different boats this season and I’ve been pretty diligent about wearing a face covering. I’ve been using a neck gaiter pulled up over my mouth and nose which also protects against the sun- something I probably should have always been doing.

I’ve also been staying on deck as much as possible and only going into the cabin if absolutely necessary. Some of the photos I’ve seen of the outdoor dining situations in NYC look far more sketchy then what I’ve noticed on the boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom