Getting “economic stimulus relief” to our friends in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Please post here any real-deal methods to get money directly into the hands of our “extended families” in Roatan.

Beyond the already known and quite worthy but generic things like RMP, or “book your next trip now” posts....do you know of any “front line”, get-it-to-the people type funding set up?

I think they’re going to be quite localized, very small, narrow target of recipients.

The one I know about is directed specifically at Coco View divers, benefiting families supported by CCV, this would be largely First Bight, Politilly Bight and the Garifuna enclave of Punta Gorda. [edit to add- a local pm’d me to advise that quite a few employees live in West End, as well] Roatan is truly an effective example of trickle-down economics. Draw a 10 mile radius circle around CCV, that’s where the payroll flows.

This one is at CocoView Resort Covid-19 Crisis Fund organized by Elizabeth Midkiff and has so far garnered $27,000 which is pretty telling. (April 17th) Go home, stay home, buy groceries.

Any other real deal money-to-the-workers type funding out there?

Great post, Doc.

The Governor or Roatán has set up donations for people and animals in collaboration with the Sol Foundation: Gobernacion Islas De La Bahía, Honduras

I am also aware that Roatán Divers (based in West End and Sandy Bay) is doing something similar to CocoView for their staff: Roatan Divers

My wife and daughters are also heavily involved in dog rescue on the island. As you can imagine, the usual plight of strays on the island is made infinitely worse by the economic downturn, three worthy and reputable organizations are as follows:

Roatán Animal Shelter (only dog shelter on the island)
Island Dogs Rock

Roatán Animal Support (focus on feeding West Island dogs)
Roatan Animal Support

Roatán Operation Animal Rescue (focus on feeding East Island dogs)
Roatan Operation Animal Rescue

I am worried about sending money to any government recommend organization. With the ingrown culture of political corruption, just doesn’t sound like a good idea. Now stateside go fund me accounts where there is accountability is different.

Bump to note that the “Midkiff” fund is at $75,000 and every penny has gone to the 120+ families supported by Coco View.

it sounds like a lot, but it’s a tight stretch for these locals- it’s keeping them fed along with material food gifts from the resort.

It is far from over....certainly in terms of the economic hit. When will we get to fly down? They will be on starvation rations for six months after that. Pony up, throw down. Give money.

Back
Top Bottom