Getting Headaches While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottsfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My daughter who is 13 has been diving since age 11. She is a Junior Advanced Open Water and has logged over 50 dives. She is very competent and confident diver and a stickler for safety. She has been reporting for about the last 6-8 dives developing a headache after diving. On her first dive she says a little minor headache comes on then by the 2-3rd dive it is a full blown headache. On our recent trip we did a little experiment paying close attention to this condition. Her first dive of the day was a warm dive to 48 feet for about 30 minutes. We stopped for 3 minutes at 20ft. and then 3 minutes at 15ft and she reported she could feel the headache start to come on towards the end of the dive. As a medic I questioned her for neurodeficits including coordination and vitals and all were negative in finding. We have talked extensively about pressurization as she goes down and comes up and nothing; ie no pain and no difficulty. She doesn't seem to have her mask too tight or struggles with anything particular. She has no sinus issues before or after....just a headache that builds. We have also done Nitrox 31 and Nitrox 28 and the symptoms still persist. She eats about 1-2 hours before first dive, and has great hydration before, during and after the dives. No allergies, no medications, no recent traumas, no pertinent medical history. She says she is not biting or clenching her reg. I was curious what else we might check, look into or consider. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks, Scott

These pains are localized where? In sinus related zones?

Is she constantly on the move underwater? Sounds to me like excess CO2, in which case she needs to slow down, relax, and breathe all the way in and all the way out.

What's the water temperature? If the water is too cold or changes often it can give me a headache. Does she experience headaches outside of diving too?

Another vote for Hypercapnia (elevated levels of Co2 in bloodstream). When I started diving back in the 90's I had a same problem. Some of the headaches were so bad, I had tears in my eyes. I even considered giving up diving. It was due to holding my breath ( I know it is bad practice) to save more air as I didn't want to be the one who ends the dive for the rest of the team. Well I paid the price and learnt my lesson. Since I dive a rebreather now, gas consumption couldn't be an issue anymore :)

Sounds like co2.
Co2 headaches develops at the end of the dive, or at the first breath fresh air.

And of course it gets worse with every dive.
She should fokus on exhaling. My girlfriend had the same problem. Now she exhales here total lung volume every 5 minutes so the air is fresh and no co2 can build up. No headaches for her anymore.

Some people breath more shallow while diving. Thats why "old air" is not fully exhaled and co2 build up in that part of the lung. If she fokus on her exhaling it should disappear( if its co2 related of course)

My guess is also that she hasn't been fully exhaling.
Try her with concentrating more on exhaling all of her air emptying her lungs before she inhales again.

again another vote for co2 loading

Like everyone else says, have her focus on long and full exhalations.

If that doesn't clear it up, you can try a different style mouthpiece just in case it is clenching of the jaw muscles. Perhaps one of these: C-Bite Mouthpiece | Dive Gear Express®. If she has a rubber second stage hose, a switch to miflex-type might also help reduce jaw fatigue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom