My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I appreciate your response, there is no "just yet" after 4 years . Some people just don't possess what's needed to do technical dives. Some people should just be limited to a single tank, and 45-60ft depth based on all of their abilities and to keep them safe. It's our job to do that, and give people the hard truth. That hard truth is hard for everyone, especially those tasked with relaying that message.
You may not wish to answer but I admit, in a purely general way, what would make you place this depth limit? What additional risk is encountered at say 80 vs 60 feet. Honest question.

While I appreciate your response, there is no "just yet" after 4 years . Some people just don't possess what's needed to do technical dives. Some people should just be limited to a single tank, and 45-60ft depth based on all of their abilities and to keep them safe. It's our job to do that, and give people the hard truth. That hard truth is hard for everyone, especially those tasked with relaying that message.
To change the subject a little bit...

Why don’t you get a lift? They are not that complicated, a winch, some rails and a folding platform. Divers with bailout or deco cylinders in particular can get out without difficulty. Small people on singles too. If the sea state is sporting it is especially better. Getting an casualty aboard is easier too. A typical 10 or 11m dive boat might have two gates on the stern, one shared with the lift. Bigger boats, often former fishing boats, have then on the side.

You may not wish to answer but I admit, in a purely general way, what would make you place this depth limit? What additional risk is encountered at say 80 vs 60 feet. Honest question.

Training agencies have already set this standard for an entry level diver, with basic skills for their safety. I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel.

To change the subject a little bit...

Why don’t you get a lift? They are not that complicated, a winch, some rails and a folding platform. Divers with bailout or deco cylinders in particular can get out without difficulty. Small people on singles too. If the sea state is sporting it is especially better. Getting an casualty aboard is easier too. A typical 10 or 11m dive boat might have two gates on the stern, one shared with the lift. Bigger boats, often former fishing boats, have then on the side.

It's something we are actually working with the USCG to figure out how we could do it, and the costs. We've talked about it for a couple years. I've talked to a couple people that have already done it. The problem is being USCG inspected vessel, it's not as easy as being a 6 pack with none of the same regulations.

At the same time, not being able to climb back onto the boat, is 1 small part of the issues. Most of what was said, and what our supposed "policy" is, isn't accurate. Ask anyone who's dove with us. I don't need to tell it any other way, the truth is in our years of actions.

Guys, I really don't want to continue this conversation publicly. I think there could be some good questions, and would love to answer. I didn't come here to publicly talk about a divers diving and skill level. I don't want to bash, or shame them. All of these concerns have been discussed previously with the diver, and every single concern we have and their current skill. Also, a path to get further, if able. I'm only here because a negative narrative was being formed and allowed to run rampant without facts, and the other side. I think I've done that, and think that any other explanations on my behalf, will or could be construed as bashing, and it's not my intent, nor should this info be public. I didn't start this thread, or bring us into it. I just made sure to give another side of the story, so it's fair all around.

If there are other questions NOT related to the diver in question, I'm here all day to answer them. But, I'm closing the book on my talks about Marie13 publicly.

This thread makes me sad. There are so very many people who live their lives without passion or the pursuit of true challenges. She has made it very clear that technical wreck diving is her goal and she has been somewhat explicit about physical weakness with back (and possibly knee).
So to me, it sounds like she sh/could be classified as physically handicapped. With the handicap being manifest by the activity of technical diving and multiple tanks.

If the boat and instructor and crew are unwilling to provide the extra assistance necessary to handle a handicapped person, then that is understandable. Since she seems absolutely determined to accomplish her goals, my first inclination would be to suggest that she spend a bunch of money and pay for a second seat on the charter and have that filled by her personal assistant.

A strong individual who will be designated to lift out clipped off tanks, provide help on the ladder and provide other reasonable accommodations. This would require someone who is intimately familiar with diving, working on a boat etc. It might not be so easy to find the proper skill set in someone willing to do that job for a full day.

Personally, I think a person can do some pretty aggressive diving with a single 149 cu-ft tank and a stage bottle and it would be easy to clip off a stage bottle in the water on a rope. Perhaps after she finishes certification, she can use a modified rig that weighs less and is more (independently) manageable – compared to double steel tanks. I could also envision, her using a weight belt that has a big ring on it, that would allow clipping off before boarding the boat. A single tank can provide a good bit of time at 150 feet if the diver tries to keep the exertion low.

This thread makes me sad. There are so very many people who live their lives without passion or the pursuit of true challenges. She has made it very clear that technical wreck diving is her goal and she has been somewhat explicit about physical weakness with back (and possibly knee).
So to me, it sounds like she sh/could be classified as physically handicapped. With the handicap being manifest by the activity of technical diving and multiple tanks.

If the boat and instructor and crew are unwilling to provide the extra assistance necessary to handle a handicapped person, then that is understandable. Since she seems absolutely determined to accomplish her goals, my first inclination would be to suggest that she spend a bunch of money and pay for a second seat on the charter and have that filled by her personal assistant.

A strong individual who will be designated to lift out clipped off tanks, provide help on the ladder and provide other reasonable accommodations. This would require someone who is intimately familiar with diving, working on a boat etc. It might not be so easy to find the proper skill set in someone willing to do that job for a full day.

Personally, I think a person can do some pretty aggressive diving with a single 149 cu-ft tank and a stage bottle and it would be easy to clip off a stage bottle in the water on a rope. Perhaps after she finishes certification, she can use a modified rig that weighs less and is more (independently) manageable – compared to double steel tanks. I could also envision, her using a weight belt that has a big ring on it, that would allow clipping off before boarding the boat. A single tank can provide a good bit of time at 150 feet if the diver tries to keep the exertion low.
A single tank at 150 on a bounce dive is asinine. Insinuating that someone can “do some pretty aggressive diving” by adding a stage bottle in this manner is even worse. I agree a personal assistant could be an asset.

A single tank at 150 on a bounce dive is asinine. Insinuating that someone can “do some pretty aggressive diving” by adding a stage bottle in this manner is even worse. I agree a personal assistant could be an asset.

LOL, OK, however, there ARE people out there who have survived a dive or two past rec limits without doubles. :poke:Might not be optimal, but her physical condition is not optimal either. It makes little sense (to me) to be safe on the bottom (with huge double steels) and then literally die or become crippled while trying to get up the ladder.

Possibly, it makes sense to attempt to "balance" the risks presented by the activity as a whole for the INDIVIDUAL? I would like to read about her future tech dive pursuits.

Theoretical question.
Could you see a skilled diver doing a limited 150 dive with a 120 cf back gas, include an H valve if you like with 2 second stages for redundancy, a stage 40 cf bottle of gas and a 40 of 100 O2? Add in a competent “personal assistant” buddy if you like.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom