Steel tank lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_2292.JPG
Here is one of my Voit 72s, with a functional j-valve, no less, which dates from 1959 -- and it has passed every hydro since that time . . .

View attachment 595534 Here is one if my 72s, with a functional j-valve, no less, which dates from 1959 -- and it has passed every hydro since that time . . .
But lost it's + in 1964. My steel 72 from 1972, lost it's + in 2004.

But, it has been visually inspected and successfully "hydro-ed" through the twenty-first century. The later marks were on the opposite side, just below the valve . . .

Lost the plus because it didn't pass REE or because hydro place didn’t test for it?

Don't quite recall those particulars; it was before my time . . .

That's just because you've been taking to a place that doesn't have the REE on file (in the case of the Norris from 1959). There are places that have that information in their files, and that will stamp it with a +, including the place I use. (While it is possible for cylinders to pass hydro but not pass the REE check, it is vanishingly rare)

Cylinders don't "lose" their + permanently. It can be added back whenever an authorized hydro station has the REE and performs the necessary steps.

Ditto all the above. Keep 'em, take care of 'em and they will last.

Yes but by “ take care of them” what exactly do you mean?

don't let them get rusted out (bad fills and godawful non-draining (cough faber cough) boots are the two main culprits), don't physically damage them (improper handling, securing, or just plain old bad luck accidents)

Back
Top Bottom