Sea of Cortez liveaboard in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could someone tell me what to expect as far as temperatures while on board and underwater?

It will be my first time on a lob in Mexico. Will outside air temps be warm or chilly? I usually pack in layers but plan on taking less than normal since quarters a bit tight (Rocio Del Mar).

Also, I’ve read water temps in July can be anywhere in the 70s and up with a few cold spots. What mm wetsuit would be best? For comparison, my last dive was in Raja Ampat in February and I was comfortable in a 5mm- well probably more like a 3.5/4mm at this point. I do have a new 7mm but think that might be overkill.

Thanks

1st week of August water temps were upper 70s/low 80s with a few cool thermoclines at depth (nothing dramatic). I don't get too cold and prefer to dive in just a lycra. I did add a 3mm hooded vest for a few dives (mostly later in the day). Other divers ranged from rash guards/board shorts to 5mm. I didn't see any 7mm (except maybe the crew, but they were notoriously warm blooded...they said so and laughed about it :)). Air temps were upper 80s day/ mid 70s night. On clear nights you can count satellites. Enjoy the sea lions, giant jawfish, and huge seahorses. Snorkeling with the whale sharks is pretty cool, too. :cool: Have fun. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

@AdivingBel very helpful! Thanks
I will leave the 7mm at home and just bring layers for the 5.

We are also going to Sea of Cortez this July. I am definitely taking the 5 mm and a hood. I get cold.
Am wondering about trip since US says the land border is closed until July 21.

We are also going to Sea of Cortez this July. I am definitely taking the 5 mm and a hood. I get cold.
Which boat? The company should be able to find out from the authorities. I think there are exceptions since travelers have a set destination. But don’t quote me!

Which boat? The company should be able to find out from the authorities. I think there are exceptions since travelers have a set destination. But don’t quote me!
We will be on Rocio del Mar with Bluewater travels photo workshop. Trip is a go, but packing lots of extra hand sanitizer and my new PADI face mask!

We were booked on the Rocio Del Mar for the week of July 11-18. We re-scheduled to September after DHS extended the border restrictions though July 25th. Talking with Head Out to Rocky Point, they said they were not having any problems getting across the border. Looking forward to hearing your trip report.

Land border is closed. But flights from the US are allowed.

Land border is closed. But flights from the US are allowed.
If you want to drive into Mexico right now, you're not going to have much trouble. There are only a few crossing spots on the US/MX border where people are actually being turned back. Mexican immigration will happily issue you a tourist FMM at most crossing stations and they've been doing so since the initial "non-essential travel ban" was instituted.

I'll be on the Rocio Del Mar the week of Aug 15th so, I was happy to see this post.
I think I'll be taking my 5 MM since like ddavin I get cold easily too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom