XL4+ Setup froze today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If high IP were always the issue and risk, in colder waters, you'd think that the Poseidon Cyklon 5000, which operates at 11.5 bar (about 167 psi) would have been a frozen block of peas; yet, it was not, even while ice diving, years ago; and it took a good deal of purposeful hyperventilating, to get it to free-flow . . .

If high IP were always the issue and risk, in colder waters, you'd think that the Poseidon Cyklon 5000, which operates at 11.5 bar (about 167 psi) would have been a frozen block of peas; yet, it was not, even while ice diving, years ago; and it took a good deal of purposeful hyperventilating, to get it to free-flow . . .
Yet all he has ever described is free flow and everyone assumes freeze I think his problem is in the first stage.

Yet all he has ever described is free flow and everyone assumes freeze I think his problem is in the first stage.

I thought that the 8˚C waters and the work of breathing were issues enough. A good number of second stages are more prone to free-flow, below even 10˚C, according to a tech that I knew in Vancouver. It was just about the most common complaint at his shop.

There was also mention made of a recent servicing. You'd think that the IP would have been adjusted to specs?

I thought that the 8˚C waters and the work of breathing were issues enough. A good number of second stages are more prone to free-flow, below even 10˚C, according to a tech that I knew in Vancouver. It was just about the most common complaint at his shop.

There was also mention made of a recent servicing. You'd think that the IP would have been adjusted to specs?
I’m getting the drift that he is only “checking” the reg not servicing it (he being the tech) no IP mentioned. Not being there it’s all guesses based on poor information, “my reg froze and free flowed” is not much different than “my reg free flowed and froze” except where you look for the cause.

The last statement was it went into free flow once hitting warmer water on the ascent. I don’t know if this is a sealed first stage, if it is I would look at the transmitter binding. If not sealed the HP seat/orifice or orifice sealing chamber would be where I would look. Just guessing.

It was about 25’c outside.

When I brought it for inspection after the first event he made sure everything was to lowest book spec to avoid free flow. The reg was overhauled completely during the winter.

I’m just wondering if it’s common for this reg. Should I try and find a solution or should I consider switching it out for something bigger like an XTX range reg. That would include spending.

Something I thought of but I don’t think makes a huge difference is in relation to the first stage. It’s small compared to many others and only has 1 hp port. Maybe having all the ports used up is asking to much?

I’m getting the drift that he is only “checking” the reg not servicing it (he being the tech) no IP mentioned. Not being there it’s all guesses based on poor information, “my reg froze and free flowed” is not much different than “my reg free flowed and froze” except where you look for the cause.

The last statement was it went into free flow once hitting warmer water on the ascent. I don’t know if this is a sealed first stage, if it is I would look at the transmitter binding. If not sealed the HP seat/orifice or orifice sealing chamber would be where I would look. Just guessing.

I’m not a reg expert but are you saying to check where the transmitter or spg is screwed in to the hp port?

I’m not a reg expert but are you saying to check where the transmitter or spg is screwed in to the hp port?
No, it the way the ambient pressure is transmitted in a sealed regulator, unsealed is a direct exposure to the water, in a sealed reg there is another diaphragm (seal) and a chamber that is dry (a few older exceptions to dry) the outer diaphragm pushes the transmitter inside the chamber to compensate for water pressure, if that sticks the IP will go way up, once again without having it in hand it’s all just possibilities.

So this is what I found out so far, they have a memo out saying there is an issues with inconsistant thicknesses for the second stage diaphragmes. This leading to a slight instability in setting.

Replacement parts are covered.

Maybe this would explain the free flows / freeze ups

So this is what I found out so far, they have a memo out saying there is an issues with inconsistant thicknesses for the second stage diaphragmes. This leading to a slight instability in setting.

Replacement parts are covered.

Maybe this would explain the free flows / freeze ups
Maybe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom