My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about this? A line for hanging bottles
No, you need an outrigger that lets the boat form a gear retrieval conveyer belt going down from the boat side, over and up to the outrigger, then back to hang over the deck. Run mechanically obviously. Boarding is two step. First, assemble subsurface and ditch excess gear on the next point on the conveyer, then move to the stern and climb up. When aboard collect gear from staging point below the deck end of the conveyer. Very simple. :). Patent pending.

ETA: Or a wire rack on tracks that extends down. You put tanks in it. When full, you release a buoy, and crew raises it up.

Lifting heavy steel twinsets is never going to be easy. I put them on and took them off in the water by floating them behind the boat on a bridle and hung a deco bottle under the boat.

I don't recall saying how far to push it. That is an individual decision, and frankly, none of my business. What I can say is that the OP (who I think pretty highly of, so there is no mistake) once stated (paraphrasing here) that there was no way she would ever be able to dive BM steel doubles.

Personally, I wish her the best of luck regardless of which system she chooses.

DW

Diving is one thing. Getting them up the accursed boat ladder is quite another.

In St Abbs (aka New Asgard) to get your kit in and off the boat there can be an 8m ladder climb to the top of the quay. There is a crane but you might think twice about hanging you rebreather or whatever off that. The crane is unusual, mostly you have to manage with whatever ladder there is. Sometimes there is a floating pontoon.

The boats all have lifts though.

Diving is one thing. Getting them up the accursed boat ladder is quite another.
Even if there’s a gorilla at the top of the ladder keep clear. Wet gear and a heaving boat can catch the best of people out.

Crane, that is what they need a marine crane. Then put one of those commercial diver rescue rings on top of your BPW, they help take the weight of the tanks or doubles. Heck I would love that the ladder is one of the most annoying parts of ocean diving. Well other than having to get up at zero dark thirty to make it to the boat on time.

Up north a bit from Hammond was once the esteemed dry goods operation, Marshall Field’s department store

ol’ Marshall himself, in his heyday, used to say

“Give the Lady What She Wants”

Calling Zig Ziglar

Ziglar Inc - Personal Development Training, Sales Coaching – Plano, Texas

Is this the DRIS associated boat out of Hammond?

Business must be good

me I would suggest a burly mate who can’t afford CrossFit. Tips would be good

They have no need to cater to gimpy middle aged gal tech divers. Not very many gal tech divers on the Great Lakes period, let alone gimpy middle aged ones. Plenty of guys clamoring for the tech charters. I am numerically insignificant population.

Well, yesterday was interesting. A number of people around me seem to think that SM is the answer to my issues with doubles weight and the boat ladder as well as valve drills.

Through a very weird series of personal connections, I will be diving SM off a boat with a well regarded tech instructor elsewhere in the Great Lakes region, who offered their time to dive with me when someone I know happened to mention my struggles. This instructor is used to diving SM off a boat, so having someone show me the proper and efficient way to do it is key.

I happen to have one set of HP80 singles that still have left/right valves. We'll reconfigure my regs with bits (such as hoses or SPG) loaned as needed. I'll be loaned a SMS75, which is what I had when I did SM two years ago. I sold mine.

My tech instructor is aware and I have his blessing. He dives SM plenty himself and has current SM students, so if I decided to switch to SM, that wouldn't be an issue.
I spent most of my deco diving in sidemount in the Great Lakes.

Lately I’ve found managing deco gasses on a boat to be easier in backmount, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom