DIR- Generic DIR Camera Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acreichman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

My dive buddy (girlfriend) and I recently finished GUE Fundies and she's now getting really into photography. She's upgrading from a handheld GoPro to a Sony mirrorless camera and try, with lights coming in the future. We also both have primary lights for signaling and communication. My question is about how to manage a large camera tray that now requires 2 hands instead of 1 while following DIR principles. Anything other photographers or photographer buddies can share about how they manage their rig and their teamwork would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Some areas you could look at are:

- having your camera neutrally buoyant using foam or float arms, to promote good trim and a balanced rig. this will also let you hold the camera comfortably in either hand.

- ensuring that the bigger camera and the way it is clipped doesn't impede with fundamental skills like long hose donation, smb, mask clearing, communication, etc.

- maintaining good situational awareness and communication when task loaded with the bigger and more advanced camera.

- working together as a team and dividing tasks and gear between each other.

The biggest problem is not how you carry the camera, it's attention to your buddy team. It's next to impossible to photograph marine life or wrecks while focussing on your buddy. Unless you're only interested in photos of your buddy waving to the camera, I don't see how DIR and photography would mix well.

The biggest problem is not how you carry the camera, it's attention to your buddy team. It's next to impossible to photograph marine life or wrecks while focussing on your buddy. Unless you're only interested in photos of your buddy waving to the camera, I don't see how DIR and photography would mix well.

And that is one of the joys of GUE diving, it teaches you how to be an excellent buddy, and teaches great awareness. Even when task loaded. However the big trick, is that if you take the camera, then it is a photography dive, and everyone on the team needs to be on the same plan. You can't do photography while your team mates want to just rummage around in the wreck, that doesn't work.

We also both have primary lights for signaling and communication. My question is about how to manage a large camera tray that now requires 2 hands instead of 1 while following DIR principles.
Thanks!

What's DIR? :)

1. as mentioned by all others - holding a camera doesn't mean giving up situational awareness. I think any GUE diver knows that team > camera. This should be discussed before the dive just like who is reeling into the wreck/ from the shot line and or who leads deco and or who shoots the SMB.
2. make sure your camera is properly trimmed - just like maintaining a balanced rig (no different from the rest of our equipment) we don't want it to be too heavy / too light.
  • this requires you to dedicate some time (in water) to verify just like doing a weight check with new tanks/ new suit.
    • you can estimate based on manufacturer's spec how negative it's going to be, and order buoyancy arms from eBay accordingly.
3. for underwater management - well I personally hold it in my hands:
  • on the bottom - you are using it hopefully - so your hands will hold it.
  • during descent - clipped (right chest D-ring for me - left side has stages) or in my hands. if the camera is trimmed properly I (took me a minute to think about it) hold it in my right hand so I have my gauge available, and use my left hand for buoyancy.
  • during ascent - again hold it in my right hand and use left hand for buoyancy.
    • gas switches/bottle rotations - hand over to buddy / clip to right chest D-ring.
    • need my right hand for anything - hand over to buddy / clip to right chest D-ring.
  • in terms of stability we usually have our hands stretched forward, and holding something that's neutral in the water isn't a big deal (so it's always available taking pics of your buddies going out of trim :popcorn::nyah:).
4. Primary light - it's still your voice underwater. I have it on and clipped to the temporary position pointing down.
  • I can still use it for signalling like that if required.

Matan.

Interesting topic and opinions for sure.

Hi Aaron,

- get your camera rig neutrally buoyant or slightly positive
- have a lanyard to attach it to your D-rings so you don't lose it
- since my rig is slightly positive and on a longer lanyard, I can clip it to my right shoulder D-ring and have it float up behind my arm pit. This won't interfere with my light cable or canister battery pack
- most of my dives I run it clipped on my left should D-ring since I haven't use a stage much or deco bottles. I will probably be clipping the camera off to my butt D-ring on dives though since I have a lot more gear
- I usually have my camera "parked" or "stowed" until I see something interesting to take a photo of
- for ascents/descents I usually have my camera "parked" and "stowed" as well meaning the arms, strobes/video lights are folded in nice and neat to avoid entanglement in the line, etc.
- when diving in a team, try to have someone else lead the dive or be deco captain if you are going to be the photo guy/gal. Let other members of your team know that you are going to be focused on taking photos to to assist with navigation any other things so you won't be task loaded

Have and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom