California road trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you will be traveling between Monterey and Long Beach to get to Catalina, you might want to do a boat dive to the Northern Channel Islands (generally Anacapa or Santa Cruz) out of Ventura on the way down. The Spectre and the Raptor both depart Channel Islands harbor (Ventura) in the morning and return in the afternoon for about $135-155 each, with 2 meals plus snacks and drinks. One of these trips would give you a nice semi-independent (they give a thorough dive briefing of the various sites, but you dive on your own) Channel Islands dive experience which would be different and much less crowded than Catalina (similar water temps and 2-3 dives per day, they provide or fill your tanks). Also, the boats have obtained deals with local hotels for lodging discounts. Everytime I price out a weekend Catalina dive trip, I find it much cheaper to dive off the boats in Ventura because Catalina transport, lodging and food can get pricy during the peak season. Agree with jayfarmlaw .. 2-3 days would be plenty on the island. The only issue with the Ventura boats is that they are now running at only partial capacity so they are getting filled up quickly.

Since you will be traveling between Monterey and Long Beach to get to Catalina, you might want to do a boat dive to the Northern Channel Islands (generally Anacapa or Santa Cruz) out of Ventura on the way down. The Spectre and the Raptor both depart Channel Islands harbor (Ventura) in the morning and return in the afternoon for about $135-155 each, with 2 meals plus snacks and drinks. One of these trips would give you a nice semi-independent (they give a thorough dive briefing of the various sites, but you dive on your own) Channel Islands dive experience which would be different and much less crowded than Catalina (similar water temps and 2-3 dives per day, they provide or fill your tanks). Also, the boats have obtained deals with local hotels for lodging discounts. Everytime I price out a weekend Catalina dive trip, I find it much cheaper to dive off the boats in Ventura because Catalina transport, lodging and food can get pricy during the peak season. Agree with jayfarmlaw .. 2-3 days would be plenty on the island. The only issue with the Ventura boats is that they are now running at only partial capacity so they are getting filled up quickly.
I'll check it out. Those sound like really good deals. Thanks for the information on another possibility!

For boat diving in Monterey I enjoyed "The Sanctuary" It's nice 6 pack boat.
For boat diving in Ventura, I like "The Raptor" Fast and built for diving
Dive park at Catalina is easy diving. It can get busy on weekends. Tanks & weights available at dive site. No dive guide needed.
Good Divin, Be Safe
SoCalRich

I second the suggestion to spend one day diving out of Ventura, on the Peace, Spectre, or Raptor. Then two days at Catalina: dive the Park the first day (2 or 3 dives) then lunch after at Descanso Beach Resort. Day 2 on Cat Island is boat based from the dive boat operating out of Avalon. You are going to have a great trip.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! We decided on shore diving two days in Monterey (with a guide at least the first day), then staying in Ventura and boat diving with Spectre for a day, then going to Catalina and doing a day of shore diving and a day of boat diving with Catalina Diver Supply. We are really looking forward to it!

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! We decided on shore diving two days in Monterey (with a guide at least the first day), then staying in Ventura and boat diving with Spectre for a day, then going to Catalina and doing a day of shore diving and a day of boat diving with Catalina Diver Supply. We are really looking forward to it!
Sounds like a great trip and good choices. That is a nice variety. Something to be aware of with the Spectre is that you will need to acquire your tanks and weights from someone (even them)- it is not part of the dive charter price. Tanks are included and on the boat for you with the Raptor. The Raptor makes for a shorter day, as their boat is much quicker getting out and back from the islands. Also, if it matters, the Spectre makes for a really long drop on the giant stride into the water and a long steep ladder to get back on the boat. The Raptor is the exact opposite- super easy on and off. The Spectre will be more stable on the trip out and back if seas are rough, but they are generally not in the summer and fall.

Sounds like a great trip and good choices. That is a nice variety. Something to be aware of with the Spectre is that you will need to acquire your tanks and weights from someone (even them)- it is not part of the dive charter price. Tanks are included and on the boat for you with the Raptor. The Raptor makes for a shorter day, as their boat is much quicker getting out and back from the islands. Also, if it matters, the Spectre makes for a really long drop on the giant stride into the water and a long steep ladder to get back on the boat. The Raptor is the exact opposite- super easy on and off. The Spectre will be more stable on the trip out and back if seas are rough, but they are generally not in the summer and fall.
Thanks for the info on tanks and weights. I'll make sure we do that! I checked into Raptor first because I had good recommendations, but unfortunately, they aren't going out on the days we will be on Catalina.

You will not be disappointed on the Spectre, we dive both, just did the Raptor a few weeks ago and the boats are often in adjacent dive sites where the conditions are best. More creature comforts on the Spectre and a third dive (only got 2 on the Rapter under current limits, no food or drink provided.. maybe same for Spectre at the moment.. check it out so you don’t go hungry or thirsty.. the websites are not well updated).. they fill your tank in between dives on the Spectre so you only need one tank per diver. Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom