My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the local boat tolerates SM and looks more favorably upon it when someone has a valid reason for doing it (such as I would) rather than someone who just prefers it to a twinset. But that’s just the impression I get. I’ve messaged the captain and will be interested in the response.

I think the local boat tolerates SM and looks more favorably upon it when someone has a valid reason for doing it (such as I would) rather than someone who just prefers it to a twinset. But that’s just the impression I get. I’ve messaged the captain and will be interested in the response.

They are used to CCR divers clipping off bail out bottles and such on a line.
Is the issue with SM getting back onto boat? Or the space they take up?

You really want boat lifts. Come the next collapse of the pound in January you lot should come over and see what proper diving is like. If you bring food parcels (no chlorinated chicken mind) you’ll probably get to dive for free :)

Is the issue with SM getting back onto boat? Or the space they take up?

You really want boat lifts. Come the next collapse of the pound in January you lot should come over and see what proper diving is like. If you bring food parcels (no chlorinated chicken mind) you’ll probably get to dive for free :)

I’m not sure about the specific objections at this time.

You want me to both dive salt water AND get on a plane? Are you daft? :rofl3: Like bloody hell I will!

That was a general you, the people that put up with inadequate boat facilities.

Apparently lifts are not looked upon kindly by the USCG. At least we’re considerate people here on the Great Lakes and mostly have fin on ladders. No trying to get fins off in a drysuit while hanging off a ladder, which I cannot do (tried multiple times on the dock ladder at the quarry). I actually refuse to dive off the few boats without fin on ladders.

I dive many boats in SE Florida, one operator has fins on ladders, they work fine. The others are also just fine, I generally take off my fins and put them on my wrists for reboarding, sometimes on a tag line. Generally things work fine, a couple of times, I was glad I had my fins with me. On the most memorable occasion, I was ejected through the air from the ladder and ended up well behind the boat in big seas. I put my fins back on, waited for the boat to make another run around to pick me up, uneventful

I've never seen a lift, I bet I would appreciate it with heavy doubles...

I dive many boats in SE Florida, one operator has fins on ladders, they work fine. The others are also just fine, I generally take off my fins and put them on my wrists for reboarding, sometimes on a tag line. Generally things work fine, a couple of times, I was glad I had my fins with me. On the most memorable occasion, I was ejected through the air from the ladder and ended up well behind the boat in big seas. I put my fins back on, waited for the boat to make another run around to pick me up, uneventful

You’re in a thin wetsuit. Try doing the the same in a drysuit and thermals. That’s a big difference.

You’re in a thin wetsuit. Try doing the the same in a drysuit and thermals. That’s a big difference.
I dive year round in Florida In the winter, I wear a full 7 mm, a hooded vest, gloves. Of course, everything you do on the Great Lakes is more difficult than what I would do :), perhaps, most of all, seeing any sea life.

I dive year round in Florida In the winter, I wear a full 7 mm, a hooded vest, gloves. Of course, everything you do on the Great Lakes is more difficult than what I would do :), perhaps, most of all, seeing any sea life.

Eh, fish. Big whooping deal.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom