Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't follow the turtles. They will never lead you back to the boat or beach!

As long as they lead me to the dragon kingdom I would be happy.

Yes so exciting. Everyone is very anxious to get back in the water. There are so many reports of turtles lazing along the shoreline and bigger creatures in waist deep water it seems as if MN has reclaimed some of what is rightfully hers.

Yes so exciting. Everyone is very anxious to get back in the water. There are so many reports of turtles lazing along the shoreline and bigger creatures in waist deep water it seems as if MN has reclaimed some of what is rightfully hers.

How about the lionfish?.

Well after a lot of soul searching, I decided to end my three month isolation on the Brac and return to the real world this past Friday. Here is the story of my journey. Reality began as I waited in the Brac airport after having put on my mask as I entered the airport. The TV was blaring about the increased cases in Florida, something that I had managed to block out from my brain for the past few weeks. Checking in was easy as everyone was social distancing and Cayman Airways staff was in a good mood. As we were flying the Twin Otter first to Little Cayman and then on to Grand, there were only about eight of us flying on the flight. A short 10 minute flight saw us landing in Little Cayman and a couple more people got on to go to Grand. Flying over Grand it was so strange to see the harbor without any cruise ships. We had to pickup our luggage and check back in with Cayman Airways. On the way we were offered small bottles of water in the airport and they sprayed out hands with some kind of soapy stuff. Masks continued to be worn. At the counter there were just the people from the Twin Otter flight as those flying from Grand had already been processed. Of course, their computer decided to crash at this time so there was a delay while the usual reboot process was done, but nobody seemed worried as they would hold the plane. A quick trip through security and we were at the gate. I guess immigration was done by the airlines as we never went through the usual paperwork and procedures. More bottles of water were offered and then it was out to the tarmac to board. On the sidewalk everyone was about six feet apart waiting to walk out to the plane. Boarding was from the rear door of the plane and they had us spaced out about 50 feet apart to board. The aircrew were all wearing PPE including yellow gowns, gloves and masks. The middle rows were empty and there were 71 passengers plus one dog and one cat. Masks were worn during the entire flight and only water was available upon request. Arrived in Miami and the immigration process was quick even if I did get the dreaded X on my form. Airport was practically deserted. Picked up my rental car and finally got to take off my mask. Hats off to those that have to wear masks for hours and hours. Then it was off on the four hour drive back home. It was a bit of a shock after driving on the left for three months to going back to driving on the right, but the bigger shock was going from driving around at 25-30 mph to 75-85. So after being back a few days it is nice to have unlimited fresh fruit and vegetables without wondering if the barge was going to bring any. And being back with family is always good. But I am going to miss my safe little bit of near Paradise at least until I can return. Be safe.

@BrackaFish , glad to hear you made it back safely and without incident. We're still holding out, although I'd be inclined to leave sooner than my better (and saner) half. Our biggest worry is traveling from Miami to Boston. That, and not being able to return to Cayman next winter. And now that we're diving again and no more curfew, it's feeling more normal to be here. Hope you're able to make it back sometime next year - and us as well if we do end up returning to the US.

@BrackaFish , glad to hear you made it back safely and without incident. We're still holding out, although I'd be inclined to leave sooner than my better (and saner) half. Our biggest worry is traveling from Miami to Boston. That, and not being able to return to Cayman next winter. And now that we're diving again and no more curfew, it's feeling more normal to be here. Hope you're able to make it back sometime next year - and us as well if we do end up returning to the US.

Without a doubt, the decision to leave is a difficult choice. After trying to read between the lines of what the government and Premier are saying, I was left with the feeling that while I would like to return in the fall, I believe that is unlikely. Trying not to get my hopes up, returning sometime next year is probably a more reasonable bet. I spoke with some immigration officers a few days before I left and they seemed to believe it was ok for me to stay as long as the borders were closed without incurring any type of penalty. If it was not for worrying about Family in Florida I would still be safe on the Brac. Currently Delta is blocking the middle seats on its flights and that would be my choice if I was returning to Boston. Of course that would mean going through Atlanta, but my impression is most airports are operating at very low capacity and they are being pretty good at cleaning, distancing and wearing masks. Just be sure to bring your own snacks. My rental car smelled like it had been dipped into disinfectant, but that was ok with me. Again it is a hard choice, so good like with it. Be safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom