Agency with best online technical training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RLima

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First I need to tell you my background.

I did my basic training in the year 2000 and never really dove ever since. By the end of 2018 I decided to restart diving and by the end of 2019 I had done about 80 really cool dives that I'm proud of.

When I decided to take my Padi Advanced Diver + Nitrox Diver training I chose a Padi corse director (yes, really) here in Brazil as my instructor to which I paid way more than I should and received 2 sh-tty one-hour classes for the advanced diver certification and an incredible amount of zero-hours training for my nitrox diver certification. After 3 months (yes, really) the guy referred me to one of his students for the couple of expensive ocean dives and that was it. Needless to say I decided never to take a Padi corse ever again. Fast forward a few months I met a few friends doing a sidemount instruction dive with a Padi instructor and ended up taking the course with the guy which was ok.

Then I bought Steve Martin's sidemounting.com online course and it really blew my mind. The crazy amount of training hours this course offers and the mere fact that you can simply watch each training video again and again is in my opinion what every dive course should look like in 2020.

So now I would like to start my technical diving training and wonder if there is any agency out there (not Padi) that provide a similar training to Steve Martin's course, that is, a great amount of quality video classes to which you can refer to whenever you want. I don't really care if the agency's actual diving part of the training (with an instructor) is sh-tty, I just want stellar quality classes which for me is what really matters.

What are you guys seeing ou there?

So you are only in for the theory and dont care about the practical part?

Where in Brasil are you?

GUE has GUE.tv. I think they still provide a free 3-day trial period for you to watch their content. It isn't as extensive as Steve Martin's (I don't believe anyone has done that). There's also Mike Van Splunteren's the longhose.com Home. My memory is probably incorrect (but someone will correct me) that Andrew Georgitsis produced a skills DVD years ago, possibly more. Not sure if that is available via subscription.

You may want to check the YouTube channels of various DIR folks.

But ultimately, find a good instructor. Doing some homework in advance and being better informed to have good questions to vet instructors is not a bad idea. Good luck.

So you are only in for the theory and dont care about the practical part?
Not at all. I want the best training possible but I'm ok with the possibility that the instructor I select in my area, for lack of other options, might not be that great.

GUE has GUE.tv. I think they still provide a free 3-day trial period for you to watch their content. It isn't as extensive as Steve Martin's (I don't believe anyone has done that). There's also Mike Van Splunteren's the longhose.com Home. My memory is probably incorrect (but someone will correct me) that Andrew Georgitsis produced a skills DVD years ago, possibly more. Not sure if that is available via subscription.

You may want to check the YouTube channels of various DIR folks.

But ultimately, find a good instructor. Doing some homework in advance and being better informed to have good questions to vet instructors is not a bad idea. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I would add, look at the DIR agencies' gatekeeper to tech courses (GUE fundamentals, UTD Essentials). Have those skills nailed down first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom