Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I do not want to keep replacing the Teric Batteries.

I understood all your other reasons, all very logical, until the above. What do you mean replace Teric battery, it has a lifespan of 5 years before it should need to be replaced.

I understood all your other reasons, all very logical, until the above. What do you mean replace Teric battery, it has a lifespan of 5 years before it should need to be replaced.

See previous posts, it is on the way back from Shearwater for its 2nd battery replacement it 1 year.

For the fact that everyone is praising Shearwater's computers and service, topics like these make me doubting very much whether I should buy one... Being not in Canada or in the States would leave me without my computer for way too long if I belong to the almost-50%-group that needed to return it

For the fact that everyone is praising Shearwater's computers and service, topics like these make me doubting very much whether I should buy one... Being not in Canada or in the States would leave me without my computer for way too long if I belong to the almost-50%-group that needed to return it

They had a bunch of bad batteries from their supplier early on. I think they are well past that, now. I don't know of any other significant issues that people have had (as in, significant #s - every computer manufacturer will occasionally turn out something with a defect).

I fully charged my new Teric on 4/4 and I have been monitoring the battery percentage. It stayed at 100% up until 4/20 when it dropped to 96%. It is still at 96% today (4/24).
I have not turned the screen on except for a couple of seconds to check the battery level.

Does this seem normal?

6/26/2020 UPDATE:
I last checked the charge level on my Teric on 4/24/2020 and it was at 96%.
I just checked it today and it is at 80%.
So, over 2 months of sitting in the travel case and it is still holding a good charge. (4/4/2020 to 6/26/2020)

Only 79 terics out in the wild, quite a large sample to decide on what to buy, probably should buy from a company that has a better reputation...

They had a bunch of bad batteries from their supplier early on. I think they are well past that, now. I don't know of any other significant issues that people have had (as in, significant #s - every computer manufacturer will occasionally turn out something with a defect).
Hi @stuartv

Most of us do not really know the story behind Teric repairs and replacement, only that they have been reported relatively frequently, as reflected by this poll. Battery problems seem to be a frequent complaint, however, other problems have also been reported. Unless Shearwater decides to provide additional information, I doubt we will know more. I would like to think the frequency of repair and replacement has gone down.

I purchased my 1st Teric in May 2019. It lasted until October and 100 dives, when the screen went black. It was sent in and was repaired. It worked perfectly for 3 dives and then the AI failed, though the transmitter was working perfectly. It was sent in and replaced. I never had any battery problems with my 1st Teric. I have had my 2nd Teric since January but only have 41 dives on it so far. It is working absolutely perfectly.

As I have stated on previous occasions, the service I have received from Shearwater has been second to none. The US service and communication by Richard and Michele Morton at Dive-Tronix is exemplary.

I have very high expectations. My 10 year old Oceanic VT3 is going strong at 1493 dives and 1571 hours. The original PPS transmitter quit working after 7 years and was replaced for $120 by Oceanic (now Huish). This service is still available. The 3 year old replacement transmitter is in current use with my VT3 and Teric.

Only 79 terics out in the wild, quite a large sample to decide on what to buy, probably should buy from a company that has a better reputation...
Most of the information available is in anecdotal reports of problems, few people report their positive experiences. This is the only data I know of, making an attempt at generating a numerator and denominator. Are you aware of better information?

I am also quite fond of my Shearwater Teric, I simply did not have a good experience with the first one I purchased.

Right now I am perfectly happy with my Perdix AI and Garmin Descent backup. Would I like a Teric? Sure, if they can build up a reputation for trouble free operation.

I don't really understand this comment unless it's meant to be sarcasm. There's definitely way more than 79 terics sold unless that's the number you've come up with that had issues. As for the reputation (if you're being serious), plug in shearwater into the search and all you'll get is praises for their service.

My wife and I have terics as backups to our petrels attached to our rebreathers. We replaced two predators with the terics. I loved and miss my predators, but they were bulky so our goal was to get something smaller since being used as a backup to the rebreather petrel means the backup is only for emergency use to track deco and depths if the petrel dies. To be honest though, if I was getting a single computer for OW or light technical use, I would skip the teric and get a petrel or perdix. The teric is very nice but I find the other shearwaters easier to read with my over 40 eyes and I also find the terics not as intuitive for going through screens as my other shearwaters have become. One other thing I notice is that my wife and I are both choosing to not wear our terics on 90% of our dives whereas with the predators we did. I think it's a combination of we just don't use them since they're emergency use only and the fact that we have to make sure they're charged pre-dive (which we often forget to do).

Back
Top Bottom