Sanitizing regulators and gear for Covid 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies. I had no idea where you were located; also had no idea that shipping to the EU was so nasty. A bit like flying between cities there?
No worries :cool:
Yes, Uk to Europe is expensive, sometimes it is cheaper to have stuff shipped from the US. Within the EU shipping is ok, just marginally more expensive than in country. And flights were quite ok before Corona and Brexit; if you did it right Munich-London was cheaper than Munich-Düsseldorf.

No worries :cool:
if you did it right Munich-London was cheaper than Munich-Düsseldorf.

I assume you are in Germany, double check because I think Steramine must be sold in your country under a different commercial name. In Italy is easy to find (also on Amazon) and probably you can order it from Italy at a very low price. But the best thing is you go to a pets shop since it is commonly used in houses where there are dogs, cats, etc. or you simply call a diving site in Germany or a German Facebook group of people who dive with rebreathers. They must use something to sterilize them, very likely Steramine

I assume you are in Germany,[...]people who dive with rebreathers. They must use something to sterilize them, very likely Steramine
Yes, and a rebreather diver myself I currently use EW80des, a commonly used and approved disenfectant, which was readily available before March. Hence my question for other disenectants tested by Apeks, would be nice if it made thier list :)

Honestly, IMO, Soap and water are enough, as stated by the CDC and backed up by other research. The compounds in common soaps, weaken and/or break the outer layer of the COV-2 virus cell enough and that essentially kills them. Soap also works as a surfactant, its primary job, to prevent things from sticking from the surface being cleaned, thereby washing them away.

In a commercial setting, I can understand the need for List Approved disinfectants for COV-2 because of insurance and whatever else, but for gear-owners, cleaning and using their own gear, going to those lengths is beyond paranoid..... It's simply not necessary. Personal gear is not suddenly doing to "contract" COV-2.... it just doesn't work that way....

I reread most of the posts. So, are some here discussing sanitizing their own gear prior to diving? If so, why--who else uses it, where is it stored that could get the virus? Or is everyone talking about renting?

I reread most of the posts. So, are some here discussing sanitizing their own gear prior to diving? If so, why--who else uses it, where is it stored that could get the virus? Or is everyone talking about renting?

..... Exactly...... ((IMO))
But yes, in the commercial, and rental, industry, I do agree that, for insurance reasons, approved lists must be adhered to, and I respect that. Everyone has to look out for their businesses....

My initial question was actually not completely precise... I hadn't been diving for a long time so I simply had to sanitize my own gear. Provided there was Covid still around, I asked about santization for Covid... Just a curiosity anyway in my specific case usually I don't rent and I have my own fatalist theory by which it's much more likely I die of a car accident on my way to the sea or I get the Covid sharing the car with another person than while actually diving

My initial question was actually not completely precise... I hadn't been diving for a long time so I simply had to sanitize my own gear. Provided there was Covid still around, I asked about santization for Covid... Just a curiosity anyway in my specific case usually I don't rent and I have my own fatalist theory by which it's much more likely I die of a car accident on my way to the sea or I get the Covid sharing the car with another person than while actually diving

:rofl3:

I totally get where you're coming from... It's all good. As far as personal gear, IMO, it shouldn't be much of a problem..... Consider this... Most of us have not been allowed to dive for a number of months now (the number varies)... and the CDC has reported that the virus can be "active" for as much as ten days +/- .... Most of us, have not been allowed to dive for much more than that..... I seriously doubt that SARs-COV-2 is alive and "infect-able" on your (or my) regulators.......

But again, in the commercial setting, I can understand the concern because they have much more oversight and others looking at their processes.....

:rofl3:

I totally get where you're coming from... It's all good. As far as personal gear, IMO, it shouldn't be much of a problem..... Consider this... Most of us have not been allowed to dive for a number of months now (the number varies)... and the CDC has reported that the virus can be "active" for as much as ten days +/- .... Most of us, have not been allowed to dive for much more than that..... I seriously doubt that SARs-COV-2 is alive and "infect-able" on your (or my) regulators.......

But again, in the commercial setting, I can understand the concern because they have much more oversight and others looking at their processes.....
By "most of us not being allowed to dive" do you mean charter boats? Closed beaches?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom