For warm water divers only. Would you consider diving in cold water during travel restrictions?

For warm water divers only, are you willing to dive locally in cold water during travel restrictions

• Yes

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Only if I get a drysuit

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • It's too cold, even in a drysuit

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • There is no local diving near me

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I've never considered it, but am willing to try it

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I love cold water diving

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • There is nothing to see

Votes: 8 10.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there really isn’t any good cold water diving near me but I would love to get dry suit certified and dive California. I dove La Jolla cove several years ago and, despite wearing a 7 mil and I think a 3 mil shorty I froze my a&@ off. Water temp was 57!! Also, the weight (I think it was like 36lbs!) was no fun at all.

I also met some Canadians recently on a Caribbean trip (pre-COVID) and they just raved about their diving. And of course I’ve seen and enjoyed your many photos.

So there really isn’t any good cold water diving near me but I would love to get dry suit certified and dive California. I dove La Jolla cove several years ago and, despite wearing a 7 mil and I think a 3 mil shorty I froze my a&@ off. Water temp was 57!! Also, the weight (I think it was like 36lbs!) was no fun at all.

I also met some Canadians recently on a Caribbean trip (pre-COVID) and they just raved about their diving. And of course I’ve seen and enjoyed your many photos.

lol... 57f is actually WARM for us... I was down to 40f on my last dive. At deep rec depth it's pretty much that temp all year long. I've got my freshwater drysuit lead down to 22lbs... plus wool long underwear, a thermal onesie, thick wool socks, good glove liners, a drysuit, a 7mm hood :wink: Fun part is coming out to the blazing sun and 90f weather... we get really good at getting in and out of our suits.

Cold water ocean diving is on my bucket list. I was considering a road trip to BC this spring before all this hit. On the flip side my LDS has actually convinced Caribbean instructors and DM's to come to frozen the Canadian prairies in March (previous years obviously) to go ice diving!

Chuckling at 57C. I'm just thinking how pleasant our water is at 14C. Same suit and shorty too!

Odd question. Isn't the pandemic everywhere? Shouldn't we be vigilant (with masks, distancing, etc.) everywhere (until the vaccine comes)?

Is it more difficult to find (legal) shore diving in warm locales? I've shore dived (solo) regularly since the March lockdowns.
Or is it a question about charter diving?

Well, things aren't so bad up here. Don't know if they'll ever open the U.S. border. Last week-10 days: no reported cases in Nova Scotia. Normally I'd say come on up. Last 2 weeks ocean hit 60F.

Odd question. Isn't the pandemic everywhere? Shouldn't we be vigilant (with masks, distancing, etc.) everywhere (until the vaccine comes)?

Is it more difficult to find (legal) shore diving in warm locales? I've shore dived (solo) regularly since the March lockdowns.
Or is it a question about charter diving?

Well, things aren't so bad up here. Don't know if they'll ever open the U.S. border. Last week-10 days: no reported cases in Nova Scotia. Normally I'd say come on up. Last 2 weeks ocean hit 60F.

I suspect the question is for folks who would have to travel some distance, most likely involving an airline flight, to get to warm water. Some of these folks wouldn't dive near home. We call them 80/80/80 divers: 80F water, 80F air, and 80 foot visibility.

As the title says, would warm water divers try local diving during the current travel restrictions even if it's cold?

Please define cold water temperature for this survey. When I was in college in the late 60s, we sometimes dove a quarry in southern Missouri during the middle of winter where the water was 40F in a homemade 7mil wetsuit. I would not do that again.

I think Seaweed Doc said it best, I made a dive in 46°F at Lake Tahoe in a wetsuit. I wouldn't do that again. Well, actually I did it twice. I never learn. :(

To be fair, I said no. But I live and work in the Caribbean, so to dive cold water would mean having to travel. I know, its a real cross I have to bare

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom