Quick poll—When do you inflate your SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pro tip - power inflate from you LP inflator hose. Its the shizzle. The dump valve keeps it from over pressurising, woooosh, and up it goes.

Or drysuit inflator hose.

@rongoodman, most bags these days have a baffle in the bottom. It allows for inflation from the bottom of the bag, but prevents air spill at the surface. I've rested on my mine multiple times with no air spill.
The only thing I'll caution when using one that even has the baffle/one-way-valve, only shoot this type when you will be drifting on the way up. If you try to swim with it or even stay stationary in a current, water will be forced up through the open bottom and it will fill with water. Well, that has been my experience.

Curious to know if you use any color system with your SMBs?
Curious, do you inflate your surface marker buoy before you start your safety stop or during your safety stop?

Experienced divers, before or during?

Thanks

We would never inflate the SMB if it weren't necessary. Adding to your question, is there a color code used for the ascending SMBs?
et voilà!

Curious to know if you use any color system with your SMBs?

We would never inflate the SMB if it weren't necessary. Adding to your question, is there a color code used for the ascending SMBs?
et voilà!
There are loads of colours

1-1M-1-8M-Closed-End-Scuba-Diving-Surface-Marker-Buoy-SMB-Drift-Diving-Ascending-Signal.jpg

The only thing I'll caution when using one that even has the baffle/one-way-valve, only shoot this type when you will be drifting on the way up. If you try to swim with it or even stay stationary in a current, water will be forced up through the open bottom and it will fill with water. Well, that has been my experience.

Absolutely correct! Always drift with your bag!

All depends:

The main caveat to these is to follow the instructions from the Skipper / Crew so they are not confused by your actions.

Much the same; though, in Florida, I typically just inflated the thing, while drifting, at the surface -- or shortly after the safety stop. It was typically like a lake off of Jupiter Inlet, last Christmas. The crew seemed ok with that method . . .

Much the same; though, in Florida, I typically just inflated the thing, while drifting, at the surface -- or shortly after the safety stop. It was typically like a lake off of Jupiter Inlet, last Christmas. The crew seemed ok with that method . . .
As a captain, if you are on a rebreather, I prefer you inflate when you leave where I know you are. I'm looking for a bag 1/2 hour into a 300 foot dive. I'm capable of following bubbly folks. No bag needed unless I'm not waiting for you when you surface.

Back
Top Bottom