How long have you gone without servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious...if one were to try for the longest lasting reg without service, seeing modest usage...say, 52 dives a year (getting soaked and dried once per week), what reg combo would you use?

In other words, say you had to pick one reg set to dive...but could never service again...what would you choose?

:D

Conshelf 14 first and second.

I'd go with my Conshelf XII. Identical to the Conshelf XIV but less LP ports so I'd save all that extra weight from the port plugs. :)

2OI4sj.jpg

WWQXoa.jpg

To the above, I would also add the Poseidon Cyklon 300, an unbalanced, "compensated" piston design that was well-nigh bulletproof; and its second stage hasn't seen much in the way of design changes since 1958.

Recently, a friend bought one from an estate sale, which, he had been told, hadn't seen use, since Carter was in office, and we had hostages in Iran. We both took turns with the regulator, on shallow 10 meter dives, on an old 72, and it worked perfectly -- right down to what appeared to be original hoses.

It's currently undergoing its first twenty-first century rebuild -- probably its first ever -- and will be enjoying a second go-round, on a bailout bottle . . .

I have heard great things about the Conshelfs...I will look up into their history [and schematics] as I know practically nothing about them.

I also vote for Conshelf XIV (or XII if you don't need th extra lp ports).

Go to vintagedoublehose.com and at the botom of the page, select Manuals and Catalogs. Go to US Divers and you will find service manuals and old catalogs.

I'm curious...if one were to try for the longest lasting reg without service, seeing modest usage...say, 52 dives a year (getting soaked and dried once per week), what reg combo would you use?

In other words, say you had to pick one reg set to dive...but could never service again...what would you choose?

:D
With the never service again thing, Zeagle F8, seat saver would help.

In truth, any and all of the regulators that have been mentioned. Regular maintenance and, especially, not ever allowing water to enter first stage, will lengthen the functional life of the equipment.

Clients who have habitually soaked their gear under pressurized conditions, in lieu of a quick rinse or dunking, seldom, if ever have any issues with their regulators, regardless of whether one or five or more years have passed since any service was performed . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom