A thank you to Divetech's Joanna Mikutowicz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech Cayman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As you know, diving in the Cayman Islands came to an abrupt halt at the end of March, when all of the businesses were forced to close. Yesterday, we were allowed to open for the first time in 90 days.

We've been mostly quiet during this time, as despite us not being allowed to conduct diving, I myself was quite busy. I don't normally use this forum or account for personal messages, but this is one on behalf of the entire Divetech staff, that we would like to reiterate to Divetech's Owner - Joanna Mikutowicz.

The few weeks approaching the mandatory shutdown was a crazy time. Many residents were very nervous. Legitimate fears that supply ships were not going to be coming to the island caused runs on the food stores. The mood of borderline panic in the stores was palpable.

During this time, many employees of the dive industry were called to company meetings where they were told their fate. Some were laid off on the spot. The luckier ones were given 2 weeks notice. Divetech had our own staff meeting on the 22nd of March, where we were told something different. Joanna would keep paying all of us, until she could no longer afford to do so. Yes that is correct, Divetech staff were kept on full wages during this shutdown.

Speaking on behalf of all Divetech employees, I cannot tell you what a relief this was, to not have to worry about paying rent, or being able to buy groceries. Many of our friends weren't so lucky, and many were forced to leave the island on one of the many evacuation flights.

Jo's logic was simple. I her words "I cannot turn my back on the people who have supported me, and the people who really make my business." Divetech was the only watersports company to pay its staff during this time.

I’m not at liberty to say how this was financially possible, but I know for certain that this expense will affect her expansion plans for the coming years. It is regrettably understandable, that some companies do not have the reserve funds to do such a thing. However when other owners clearly do have the funds and capacity to care for their staff, yet choose not to do so, this speaks volumes about their mindset and their ethics. As a consumer, I would personally choose to do business with an owner who is the former.

Despite this, regrettably we did lose some staff anyway. Those who had partners who lost their jobs were forced to leave. Jess is moving to the UK to finish University. Captain Scotty has returned to his home in Canada. Sonya will be moving with her boyfriend to New Hampshire. Julia has moved on to a job with Cayman Islands Government.

Divetech is now back in business, and although with a much reduced income, a real feeling we will pull through this unscathed, and be stronger on the backend. For now we will eek by on the resident business, until we can welcome you all back, whenever the airport does open.

So Jo, thank you on behalf of the entire Divetech staff.

Tony

IMG_8480.JPG

The Divetech staff, June 2020. From left to right, Tony, Garth, Drew, Joanna, Serena, Raggie, Courtney, Kim.

That is terrific to hear! And I'm not surprised that Jo has taken the opposite approach from one of her previous employers, on Oahu. She is a keeper.

This is awesome to hear!
I will definitely use Divetech on my next GC dive trip.

That’s awesome. It is indeed a sad time to be saying goodbye still to so many in the hospitality industry. So many were on the last BA flight and so many more are scheduled on the upcoming Miami evac flights. Was delighted to see familiar faces at Lobster Pot this week. So happy for all those who still get to call this home. Spoke to a good friend from Tortuga Divers Sunday and they too are thrilled to be back blowing bubbles!

That is super! Any dives I do in the Caymans will be with DIvetech.

Cayman and Divetech was on my list for Xmas vacation. Still on list if logistically possible.

I was sad and disappointed that I had to cancel my trip there for May. I was really looking forward to learning and diving with you guys. I got a good vibe in our communications when arranging this trip and it seems my 'vibe' wasn't wrong as usual. I'm happy I was going to support a business with such a leader.
Rest assured, I will be doing this trip with you guys as soon as things find it's new normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom