Prescriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had the prescription for many years. I think the last time it was filled was about five years ago. I don't fly that much, so I don't use it that much. Now, it's being treated like an opioid (which it isn't). My doc isn't writing any prescriptions for this or any opioid pain relievers because of the amount of time involved. He says he feels bad for his patients with legitimate chronic pain (which is not me).

So, no. I can't get him to write any script for this particular medicine (think Valium). It's definitely not illegal to bring prescribed meds into Mexico, but I wouldn't recommend anyone bring a 30 day supply of any med when only staying for a week. Oddly enough, the one thing that can get people into trouble is OTC Benadryl (from what I have read). If I bring anything like that to CZM, it's only one or two pills.

I might get into a little trouble if I brought lorazepam back to the USA, but I doubt it if I have a prescription - even from a MX doc.

The rules for going into Mexico with prescription drugs say that you can only bring in an amount equal to the number of days you'll be in Mexico and that the medications must be in their original prescription bottle. And, yes, it is illegal to bring pseudoephedrine (sudafed) into Mexico. Probably 'cause it's used in making methamphetamine.

Do you have information that would indicate that pseudoephidrine has rebound congestion?

Ordinarily, no.

But twice a day, every day, for years? There's going to be systemic adaptation to the constant presence of an α-adrenergic agonist, including a degree of down-regulation of receptor sites.

I doubt anyone has down a study of the effects of abrupt discontinuation of twice-daily pseudoephedrine after years of use for any number of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom