Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_0175.JPG
North Monastery Beach, Carmel -- seventy-five minutes without any wet markets, pandemics or burning cities . . .

Paddys Head near Halifax (where I did my OW checkouts and dive #300, among many other times). Great viz- 35' or so. Water up to 16C (60F) all of a sudden in last 2 weeks. Up from low 40sF--weird. Maybe go to the 5 fingered gloves now.

Hi @Zieg

I hope you and @Ana enjoyed your dives today, how was it?

I just finished my 1st visit to Florida since early March, got in some great solo diving in Boynton Beach
We had a blast. Seas were 2 feet maybe less. Visibility less than last week but still plenty. Saw few big turtles and tons of life.

Seas were so nice we decided to go farther south than we usually go, not by much but maybe couple of miles from our normal spots. Still the 40-70 range but let's call it our southern boundary.... While I was checking little things my mind started to drift a little, being so grateful that people don't really care for the reefs off Pompano. Florida diving is the BBB, the wrecks of Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach and the reefs of the Keys or Boynton. So we only get some locals and maybe the 2nd dive after the main wreck dive. But what I saw today was trully comparable to past dives in Bonaire, Hawaii, Bahamas or yes Boynton too but don't really want to advertise too loud.

And to make it even better it was my 2nd dive with a datamask... The one some guy came here to the board selling without transducer few weeks ago.
Last week I tested it and put a lot of time comparing with my other computer to make sure the thing worked properly. Today everything fell in place, the mask behaved like I remember my old one used to... Just great and conditions pretty darn good.

Solo dive in an abandoned stone quarry. First time. Never been there before.

Goal: to inspect the site. Could it be used as a dive site for fresh divers? My dive buddy cancelled and this inspection had to be done before next weeks event. Hence, a solo dive had to be done.

Maximum depth was 64 feet and visibility, with a dive light, about 6 feet (maybe less). This meant that I had to stay at touching distance from walls or bottom to have any reference. Complete darkness prevailed at 30 ft, above which a red glow appeared. Blue light does not penetrate this deep, red does; this has to do with particulate matter suspended in water. I wonder how the visibility could be so bad. I guess the water is rich in nutrients because **** has been dumped into the pool (there is farmland around the place). Water termperature was 41F (a drysuit dive).

Above surface it was a beautiful, oh so beautiful, site. And under water - a dump. I was able to find car parts, a door included, bicycles, a motorcycle with register plate attached, clothes, oil tuns (empty), unidentified metal objects, usual stone quarry stuff/tools... Ropes and cables suspended in water were a bit scary, as they could not be seen from distance. I am used to low visibility diving, but doing it without surface support or any team, and with unknown entanglement hazards, can be a bit scary. Being afraid can be a wise thing sometimes. An excellent pychological drill, though.

That site will not become my favorite spot but a cleanup dive would be in order. Children jump into water from a height there. While the bottom probably does not need to be cleaned, I think it should nevertheless.

On the internet. Still went into deco.

I guess it was a saturation dive: Once you log out from here, you will need to stay a week on your smartphone :eek:

Back
Top Bottom