Who Needs a wetsuit for tropical water diving anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the always wear a wetsuit camp and it has nothing to do with scrapes, stings or touching the reef but the older I get the colder I get. Most or my travel is dive related so I'm in the water a lot. My wetsuit gauge is as follows: 50 - 70 deg. full 8mm with hood, 70 - 85 full 5mm and 85+ full 3mm I also bring a 2mm vest just in case. It easier to cool down then to chase the warmth.

When I'm diving in the tropics and subtropics, I always wear a full 3/2mm wetsuit. Protects me fairly well from stingers.

Sorry to resuscitate this thread - but If you look at my tag, you'll see I'm from Cairns, GBR, Far North Queensland.
Dive with little to no neoprene - 2mm poly in winter =) , but 100% head to toe cover ALL year. Google the following: Cnidaria and Irukandji ( Indigenous for "F'n KILL ME NOW!!! ) Our jellies don't fool around.

Sorry to resuscitate this thread - but If you look at my tag, you'll see I'm from Cairns, GBR, Far North Queensland.
Dive with little to no neoprene - 2mm poly in winter =) , but 100% head to toe cover ALL year. Google the following: Cnidaria and Irukandji ( Indigenous for "F'n KILL ME NOW!!! ) Our jellies don't fool around.

Dude. None of the flora or fauna in Oceanica fools around. I have no idea how all the translucent people survived down there without help from the tribes.

That being said, 1mm jumpsuit at all times minimum. maybe a rash guard or sailing undergarment underneath. I got trashed against some rocks in Puerto Escondido by the 12' surge the only time I ever wore shorts.

Dude. None of the flora or fauna in Oceanica fools around. I have no idea how all the translucent people survived down there without help from the tribes.

That being said, 1mm jumpsuit at all times minimum. maybe a rash guard or sailing undergarment underneath. I got trashed against some rocks in Puerto Escondido by the 12' surge the only time I ever wore shorts.

A good reminder for folks who don't spend much time in or near the ocean. I see it all the time with tourists down here in FL. Some locals as well but mostly tourists. Whenever I dive or snorkel even the only thing exposed is the small bit of my face not covered by my mask and hood. I always wear gloves, at least a full 2.5mm wetsuit and a hood. I have lycra warm water hoods for summer and 5mm hoods and hooded vests for winter. Way too many critters that bite, sting, or cut living in the ocean for me to be comfortable with much exposed skin.

Is that you Sheamus?

A good reminder for folks who don't spend much time in or near the ocean. I see it all the time with tourists down here in FL. Some locals as well but mostly tourists. Whenever I dive or snorkel even the only thing exposed is the small bit of my face not covered by my mask and hood. I always wear gloves, at least a full 2.5mm wetsuit and a hood. I have lycra warm water hoods for summer and 5mm hoods and hooded vests for winter. Way too many critters that bite, sting, or cut living in the ocean for me to be comfortable with much exposed skin.
If you've dived much in SE FL, you've probably had a big school of Gray Triggerfish pursue and peck on you. No harm if you're covered. I was bitten on the ear once, hurt like hell, bled like stink. Too creepy to have Sharksuckers on my skin, doesn't bother me, much, on my wetsuit :) Most of our jellyfish are pretty benign, we do get Man o' War

I dive in shorts and Tshirt only and no gloves. Never worn gloves. Been stung by jellies but not the nasty ones.
Never had an issue with the sea urchins or lion fish or other spiny critters or played with the cute tiny cat fish.

I try to make it a point to only dive in places where I use a swimsuit only and nothing else. My last dive I used a skin shirt for the first dive and went down for the second dive with no shirt at all. It was great. This limits me to high visibility places with very warm water and I am fine with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom