About to break into the Solo World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with @tbone1004 . Go in with an open mind and really zero in with your instructor. IMHO, it's WAY more important for you to be extremely comfortable in the water at depth with good situational awareness and a solid understanding of your limitations. If you don't have all that then you need more dive experience prior to taking the class. If you're confident in all that, then enjoy the class and solo diving. Be smart and have fun. :)

As the title states I am going to start my Solo diver course mid next month. What are the things I should be looking into and what should I expect.
OK, first, maybe not try to 'break into solo-diving'. Stick your toes in, bimble about, make mistakes and recover from them. You will either like it or you won't.

Please don't go hog wild when you first try out solo. It isn't a gonzo thing. There is nobody to brag to, nobody who really cares. Solo diving is truly and completely what YOU get out of diving.

There ARE a few real solo divers on the board. It may be useful for you to understand their mindsets:

Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

When/where to practice solo skills? And what to practice?

Solo divers' obligations to other divers

OK, first, maybe not try to 'break into solo-diving'. Stick your toes in, bimble about, make mistakes and recover from them. You will either like it or you won't.

Please don't go hog wild when you first try out solo. It isn't a gonzo thing. There is nobody to brag to, nobody who really cares. Solo diving is truly and completely what YOU get out of diving.

There ARE a few real solo divers on the board. It may be useful for you to understand their mindsets:

Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

When/where to practice solo skills? And what to practice?

Solo divers' obligations to other divers

I think @lowviz takes the prize for solo diving - some back bay in the middle of the night. :wink:

I see no difference between a back bay in the middle of the night and diving with a useless buddy in an over-filled quarry.

Well, other than my obligation for another person's life. I don't dive to save/protect others. I dive because I love it. I am in no way 'special' when it comes to solo divers.

-looking for a quote from the past...

Know your limitations and baby steps.

Lying to yourself about your abilities is the way to get into a jam and get an A&I thread. Lie to anyone else all you want, just don't start believing it yourself.

I rarely dive solo in an unknown environment.

Beware of complacency.

Hopefully, your instructor has told you to get a mirror. In the course he/she should show you how to use it. Under water as well as on the surface. The first thing I tell my solo students they need is a mirror along with the other required items.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom