Scuba Coaching PLEASE...Might be wrong place to post...if so I apologize in advance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fa1th1st

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for scuba coaching...I have several certifications and done lots of Padi courses.
UTD "looks like" the ideal organization for what I want which is ongoing coaching to build my skill level. I just can't find UTD people near me geographically. I started looking at them a few years ago. I have no aspirations to become a Tech diver or a cave diver but they do ongoing coaching with recreational divers to help teach the good trim and the kicking techniques. This is my attraction to the organization.

I'm looking to perfect my trim and posture, which should allow me as a scuba diver to maintain horizontal orientation in the water when swimming and when just sitting there hovering horizontally, even on ascent and descent, rather than being pushed or pulled vertical...I've done enough of the vertical up and down. So this is my aspiration.

My objective here is not to offend anyone. I'm looking for help to achieve the goals I have for my diving. I don't care how anyone else dives.

I know I need regular practice and have moved to Georgia where I can dive the coast or Florida hopefully 4 to 5 days each month. But I also want coaching. Does anyone know of another scuba organization that offers genuine ongoing coaching...this is not what Padi offers and I am tired of giving them my money for their cookie-cutter approach that doesn't provide what I want.

I've tried traveling long-distance to a coach...dumb idea that didn't work but I did end up getting just a little better.

I'm looking for someone who is local knows/uses Backplate and Wing (I'm in Atlanta but willing to travel to Coastal Ga or North Florida) and has the patience to work with a piss-poor (older woman diver) who isn't a natural but loves diving and just wants to do it at a higher level.

I would like to be good enough to dive the Galapagos and a few other places that require a higher skill level than I currently have.

I'd appreciate any assistance or advice on how to find a person or organization to help me achieve my objectives as stated here.

Thank you to all in advance for reading this post and offering any help you can.

All the best to the Scubaboard community.

Why would you offend anyone? GUE Fundies might be what you’re looking for. It can be taken single tank or doubles.

What’s your budget?

@Fa1th1st Hello and welcome.

I'll throw a couple of ideas into the ring ...
1) If you aren't looking for a card, you don't necessarily need an instructor/class/program, but maybe just an experienced mentor to help you sort things out. See if there is a dive club near you, maybe one that has a tech contingent, but isn't all about tech. Ask around at your LDSs.
2) Become a DM if you can find a like-minded instructor to work with, and then for - one who believes in ongoing coaching. Plenty of time to practice hovering/trim/propulsion while shepherding students.

since you are open to north florida, look into taking a cavern course or just some 1 on 1 instruction from a cave instructor. or take fundies part 1.

I'll throw a couple of ideas into the ring ...
1) If you aren't looking for a card, you don't necessarily need an instructor/class/program, but maybe just an experienced mentor to help you sort things out. See if there is a dive club near you, maybe one that has a tech contingent, but isn't all about tech. Ask around at your LDSs.
2) Become a DM if you can find a like-minded instructor to work with, and then for - one who believes in ongoing coaching. Plenty of time to practice hovering/trim/propulsion while shepherding students.

Thank you for your great suggestions...The experienced mentor is the one I would likely pursue...if I manage to become a decent diver I'd then consider the DM ...never say never but I don't actually see DM as a realistic goal at the moment. I also like the looks of the GUE fundamentals program. Thanks for your time and support, -JD-Eclecticist

Why would you offend anyone? GUE Fundies might be what you’re looking for. It can be taken single tank or doubles.

What’s your budget?
I rarely post on message boards because I've been chewed up and spit out when I was just trying to get a little information. So I start by apologizing and otherwise letting folks know that I have nothing against their choices.

Anyway, everyone here has been kind and helpful and I really appreciate the information.

At the moment Florida is as far as I want to go for training. Last time I got a coach/trainer I went all the way to the Philippines and stayed a month. The dynamic between me and the coach was not what one would hope for and I stopped working with him after 3 days ...the original plan was to work together for 10 to 15 days. I ended up on Malapascua Island diving with Thresher sharks and some great folks (who knew some friends from Utila) who helped me with my diving.

Now, it is time for me to start diving in the United States as near to where I live as possible. Regular practice (local) with coaching is what will help me turn the corner. The GUE fundamentals could probably help me a lot.

Maybe @cerich can help you out. He is a great diver, an instructor examiner and all around great person. If not, I am sure he can recommend someone in your area.

I second @cerich also known as Chris Richardson, owner of Deep6 gear. He or @LandonL should be able to hook you up easily, Chris is in Georgia not far from Atlanta, Landon is in Florida most of the time, Landon can get you introduced to Ryan Custureri as well, a very good instructor and mentor.

I teach a Trim, bouancy and propulsion workshop here in North Florida Springs. They are a bit flooded out at the moment, but they should be back to normal in the next few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom