Dive Knife with Hydros Pro bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattspiral8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, can i attach any dive knife onto the Scubapro Hydros Pro attachments or does it need to be specifically a scubapro knife?

I've only seen that Scuba Pro ones work but I haven't searched high and low. There's two holes on the weight pocket that lines up with a few of their knife cases.

Even with a SP knife, you need the knife adapter accessory to attach to the HydrosPro.

I have mounted my Cressi Alligator knife onto my Hydros Pro with Scubapro's knife adaptor easily.

Hi I opted for an Axim vest and Aqualung knife. That fits wonderfully (I chose the knife because of the squeezelock, not brand compatibility), but the specific knife I bought (and I would guess many others) has several different ways of being attached to a vest/hose/wherever.

I think the best way forward for you would be to choose the knife you actually prefer (for whatever reason) and then check if it fits and how/where you would want to fit it. You may even take your vest to a LDS and just fit it there.

rgds

I have a Hydros Pro and originally bought a Scubapro Mako knife because of the easy mounting. I hated it. The knife sheath and handle catch on stuff. I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I would evaluate whether or not you really need a knife for a cutting tool. I took the knife off and went with a Trilobyte that I mount with the velcro band that goes around my BCD inflator hose. Easier to deploy, cuts better (the Mako is dull as hell from the factory), and is unobtrusive. Other folks I dive with use shears that they mount to their inflator hose.

I mount a small knife to my power inflation hose with a couple of zip ties. Easily accessible and does not snag on stuff. Also, I never spend much on a knife as over time it will inevitably disappear or rust out.

Also, I can't really remember the last time I actually needed or used a knife during a dive. Maybe had to cut some line about 10 years ago.
I still keep a knife in my kit to occasionally cut up an orange or an apple on the boat. Can't do that with a Trilobite or shears.

One thing I've noticed over the years. The newer or less confident the diver, the bigger the knife and the more stuff they tend to mount/hang from their BC.

I mount a small knife to my power inflation hose with a couple of zip ties. Easily accessible and does not snag on stuff. Also, I never spend much on a knife as over time it will inevitably disappear or rust out.

Also, I can't really remember the last time I actually needed or used a knife during a dive. Maybe had to cut some line about 10 years ago.
I still keep a knife in my kit to occasionally cut up an orange or an apple on the boat. Can't do that with a Trilobite or shears.

One thing I've noticed over the years. The newer or less confident the diver, the bigger the knife and the more stuff they tend to mount/hang from their BC.

LOL.....i have a big ass vintage beauchat dive knife that goes on my leg. I inherited it years ago and have worn it but never used it for anything. That being said a friend of mine jokingly said...no one ever went back to the boat to get a smaller knife.

Interesting, Lloyd Bridges and Sea Hunt started a humongous knife fad. Very macho.

If someone on the boat falls and breaks a leg, you can strap the knife onto that leg and use as a splint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom